You are here
It's your day!
Commencement is a celebration of all you have accomplished. Participation is voluntary but highly recommended!
Students who anticipate completing all degree requirements by the end of Fall 2019 are eligible to walk, with program approval. Please consult with your program advisor and Director of Graduate Studies if you wish to participate, but will not have completed all degree requirements by the end of May 2019.
UMD Commencement 2019 is scheduled for
Saturday, May 11, 2019
at the Duluth Entertainment and Convention Center, Amsoil Arena.
There will be two separate ceremonies.
10:00 a.m. - CLA and SCSE
3:00 p.m. - CEHSP, LSBE, and SFA
Requirements and deadlines
Friday, March 8, 2019 is the deadline to register for Commencement.
Log in to the UMD Commencement Manager to confirm your degree information for the printed Commencement Program, and to complete the Commencement RSVP, even if you do not intend to participate. This is the only way we will know whether or not you intend to participate in the Commencement Ceremony, and for your name to appear in the printed Commencement program, so it is very important that you log in and complete the RSVP.
- Visit our degree progress and completion page to be sure you are on track for graduation.
- Apply to Graduate online through your MyU Portal by the first day of the month in which you intend to complete all degree requirements. Note: This is NOT the same as the Commencement RSVP. This is a separate step. You must Apply to Graduate through MyU to get your degree.
- Remember, Graduate School policy requires that you register every fall and every spring until your degree is awarded. Please contact the Graduate School Office or your program office with any questions.
Individual programs may have additional requirements for degree completion. Please check with your program office.
Additional notes for those participating in Commencement Ceremonies
- The UMD Graduation Fair will be held March 21st in the Kirby Ballroom from 10am-5pm. Save 20% in person or online during the Grad Fair only!
- Students must obtain the proper academic attire at UMD Stores in order to participate in the ceremonies.
- Purchase your cap, gown, hood, and tassel at Lower Level UMD Stores, or at the Grad Fair. Find the hood color for your degree linked here.
- Participating Doctoral degree students can find more information about doctoral regalia linked here.
- Participating Master's degree students can find more information about master's regalia linked here.
- ***NOTE: When ordering Graduation Hoods, please include your Discipline/Degree in the comments area.***
- If you have any questions about the proper regalia and deadlines by which regalia must be ordered, please contact UMD Stores.
- More details regarding Commencement are available on the UMD Commencement Information page
- Questions? Contact the UMD Graduate School Office at (218) 726-7523, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit the One Stop Student Services website for information on the following:
- Your Diploma, including
- How to set or update your degree name
- How to set or update your diploma address. Note that you will select the address type (diploma) AFTER entering a new address.
- Enrollment/Degree Verification
- Questions? Contact One Stop Student Services at (218) 726-8000, or email email@example.com