Research Interests and Activities
My research interests are in the area of experimental condensed matter
physics, including scanned probe microscopy and low-temperature physics.
Atomic force microscopy (AFM) is being developed to study mechanical properties of materials on the nanometer scale.
Scanning tunneling microscopy has been developed for studies of electronic properties of materials, especially superconductors.
The current-voltage characteristics of the tunneling current in an STM provide a spectroscopic tool to study superconductivity.
- "Superflow Onset: 4He on Grafoil," with R. B. Hallock, in
Ordering in Two Dimensions, ed. S. K. Sinha, North-Holland, New
York (1980) p. 271.
- "Thermal Conductivity Measurements in Helium Films on a Mylar
Substrate," with R. B. Hallock, Proceedings of LT-16, Physica
B+C, 107, 399 (1981).
- "Onset of Superfluid Flow in 4He Films Adsorbed on Mylar," with
R. B. Hallock, Phys. Rev. Lett. 47, 1533 (1981).
- "Thermal Transport on the Superfluid Side of the Kosterlitz-
Thouless Transition in 4He Films," with R. B. Hallock, Phys. Rev.
B26, 3979 (1982).
- "Simultaneous Mass Flow and Third Sound Measurements in 4He Films
Near the Kosterlitz-Thouless Transition," with R. B. Hallock,
Phys. Rev. B28, 4021 (1983).
- "Experimental Study of the Kosterlitz-Thouless Transition in 4He
Films," with R. B. Hallock, Phys. Rev. B27, 5491 (1983).
- "Third Sound Measurements on 4He Films in the Vicinity of the
Kosterlitz-Thouless Transition," with R. B. Hallock, in 75th
Jubilee Conference on 4He, ed. J. G. M. Armitage, World
Scientific, Singapore (1983) p. 94.
- "Reactive Evaporation of Chevrel Phase Superconducting
Compounds," with R. J. Webb, A. M. Goldman, J. H. Kang, and M. F.
Schmidt, IEEE Trans. Magnetics, MAG-21, 835 (1985).
- "Superconductivity of HoMo6S8 Thin Films," with J. H.Kang, and A.
M. Goldman, Proceedings of the International Conference on
Materials and Mechanisms of Superconductivity, Physica 135B, 336
- "The Superconducting-Normal Phase Boundary of a Fractal Network
in a Magnetic Field," with James M. Gordon, A. M. Goldman, D.
Costello, R. Tiberio, and B. Whitehead, Phys. Rev. Lett. 56, 2280
- "Superconductivity in the Ferromagnetic Phase of Polycrystalline
HoMo6S8 Films," with D. D. Berkley, J. H. Kang, and A. M.
Goldman, Phys. Rev. B35, 38 (1987).
- "Superconducting Transition in Thin Films of Lead Telluride Doped
with Thallium," with J. H. Kang, D. D. Berkley, H. M. Jaeger, A.
M. Goldman, and Dale L. Partin, Phys. Rev. B36, 2280 (1987).
- "Critical Magnetic Field Measurements of UBe13 Thin Films," with
J. H. Kang, and A. M. Goldman, Proceedings of the 18th
International Conference on Low Temperature Physics, Kyoto,
- "Critical Fields of UBe13 Films," with J. H. Kang, A. M. Goldman,
J. S. Brooks, Z. Fisk, and J. L. Smith in Novel
Superconductivity, Proceedings of the International Workshop on
Novel Mechanisms of Superconductivity, Berkeley, CA 22-26 June
1987, Plenum New York, NY (1987) p. 215-21.
- "Electron Tunneling into Single Crystals of YBa2Cu3O7-x" with J.C.
Wan and A. M. Goldman, Physica C 153-155, 1377 (1988).
- "Preparation of Y2Ba4Cu8O20-x Thin Films by Thermal Coevaporation,"
with D. D. Berkley, D. H. Kim, B. R. Johnson, A. M. Goldman, M.
L. Mecartney, and K. Beauchamp, Appl. Phys. Lett. 53, 708 (1988).
- "Ozone Processing of MBE Grown YBa2Cu3O7-x Films," with D. D.
Berkley, B. R. Johnson, N. Anand, K. M. Beauchamp, L. E. Conroy,
A. M. Goldman, K. Mauersberger, M. L. Mecartney, J. Morton, M.
Tuominen, and Y-J. Zhang, Proceedings of the Applied
Superconductivity Conference, 1988.
- "In-situ Formation of Superconducting YBa2Cu3O7-x Thin Films Using
Pure Ozone Vapor Oxidation," with D. D. Berkley, B. R. Johnson,
N. Anand, K. M. Beauchamp, L. E. Conroy, A. M. Goldman, K.
Mauersberger, M. L. Mecartney, J. Morton, M. Tuominen, and Y-J.
Zhang, Appl. Phys. Lett. 53, 1973 (1988).
- "Simple Raster Generator for Use with Scanning Tunneling
Microscopes," Rev. Sci. Instrum. 62, 357 (1991).
- "A Computer-based Data Acquisition Laboratory for
Undergraduates," Am. J. Phys. 61, 651 (1993).
- "Simple Determination of the Frequency Response of Piezoelectric
Tubes," with L. Tao Rev. Sci. Instrum., 64, 1367 (1993).
"Atomic force microscopy of thermal insulation materials with aerogels,'
NASA, April 2001 - March 2002, $13,646.
"Low temperature scanning tunneling microscopy of superconductors
Joseph H. DeFrees Grant of the Research Corporation,
July 1989 - September 1993, $32,000.
"Integration of computer-based data acquisition and analysis in an
electronics sequence for science majors"
National Science Foundation, June 1989 - November 1991, $30,935.
"Low temperature tunneling microscopy of superconducting materials"
University of Minnesota Graduate School, December 1987 - June 1988, $14,000.
This page (http://www.d.umn.edu/~jmaps/research.htm) is maintained
by Jonathan Maps and was last