You are here
Communication students learn about human relations, including how humans use and misuse symbols and how they achieve cooperation and manage conflict. Understanding and practicing effective communication enhances your self-awareness, improves your relationships and your health, and empowers you to be an active citizen of the world. Students develop conceptual and research competence and applied skills in the areas of interpersonal communication, mass media, and rhetoric and public affairs.
Students who major in communication at UMD graduate with an understanding of human interpersonal communication interactions, the functions of the media in today’s society, the uses of persuasion, and the nature of communication within organizations.
Communication majors develop:
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- The ability to influence, persuade, and present alternative viewpoints
- Skills in listening, clarifying, questioning, and responding
- The ability to work will in teams
- Analytical, creative, and critical thinking skills
- Business Development
- Public Relations
- Corporate Communications
- Campaign Management
- Social Media Management
- Content Development and Strategy
- Event Management
- So much more..
What you can do with this degree?
Comm is, among other things, a science and art leveraged for sharing information, achieving understanding, influencing beliefs and behaviors, creating and spreading culture, resolving conflicts and conveying emotions. Whether you become a politician or a software-engineer, communicating effectively will serve you well throughout your career and personal life.
Admissions and Scholarships
- The John Ness Memorial Award
- Virginia T. Katz Scholarship
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Communication grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Shelter Advocate - American Indian Community Housing Organization, Duluth, MN
- Project Management Associate - Boom Lab, Minneapolis, MN
- Talent Acquisition Coordinator - Ecolab, St. Paul, MN
- Patient Coordinator - Fairview Clinics, Edina, MN
- Sales Development Specialist - Microsoft, Fargo, ND
- Media Assistant - Out There Advertising, Duluth, MN
- IT Recruiter - York Solutions, Brooklyn Park, MN
For more data see the Communication Graduate Follow-Up Report.
For ideas about Communication and other majors visit Career & Internship Services.