Welcome to the CLA wait list information page!
The wait list process helps facilitate and prioritize access into closed CLA courses.
– African & African American Studies
AMIN – American Indian Studies
ANTH - Anthropology
CHIN – Chinese
CLA – College of Liberal Arts
COMM - Communication
CRIM – Criminology
CST – Cultural Studies
CUE – Cultural Entrepreneurship
ENGL – English
ES – Environment & Sustainability
FR – French
GEOG – Geography
GER – German
GIS – Geographic Info Science
HIST – History
INTS – International Studies
IS – Interdisciplinary Studies
JOUR – Journalism
LANG – Language
LING – Linguistics
PHIL – Philosophy
POL – Political Science
RUSS – Russian
SOC – Sociology
SPAN – Spanish
URS – Urban Regional Studies
WRIT – Writing Studies
WS – Women’s Studies
To view CLA course descriptions, please visit this site: HERE
Wait List instructions for students:
- No guarantee. Being placed on a waitlist does not guarantee enrollment into the course. You are advised to plan alternative courses. Consider the waitlist feature as a course ‘wish list’.
- Select wisely. You are advised to add yourself to the “best” section that fits your schedule. If you add yourself to multiple sections of the same class, note staff will not monitor what section fits your schedule.
- If you are granted a permission number and you use it, the system will automatically remove you from any other wait list for the same course.
- If you are granted a permission number and you do not use it or it expires, the system will remove you from the wait list. If you are on other wait lists for the course, you will remain on those lists.
- Check your email daily and take action. After the registration appointments end, staff will begin to review and manage waitlists weekly. If you receive a permission number it will have an expiration date. If you do not use the permission number, it will expire within 3 - 5 days and the system will remove your name from the list. If this happens and you still want the course, you are advised to add yourself to the waitlist again. You will be placed on the list based on this new date.
Courses that require instructor consent will not have waitlists. This includes independent study, internships, directed research, etc.
How do I add myself to a waitlist?
If you meet the pre-requisites for the course and the waitlist has not closed, the system will prompt you to add your name to the waitlist.
Why can’t I add myself to the waitlist?
Check the pre-requisites (pre-reqs) for the course.
Pre-reqs are requirements established to prepare students for the course. The pre-req can range from a credit requirement, a declared major or minor, or course pre-requisites.
Credit pre-req – For example, if the pre-req lists ’60 credits’, this total includes earned and in-progress credits. This excludes any in-progress credits for next term.
Course pre-req – For example, if the course lists a course pre-req of ‘WRIT 1120’, this course must appear on your record or a course equivalent must be listed. If you took any course pre-req outside UMD, you should have a student group code on your record indicating you have taken the course. Here is a list of selected transfer courses within CLA with student group codes: ANTH 1604, CRIM 1301, ECON 1022, ECON 1023, POL 1011, SOC 1101, WRIT 1120. If you have taken the course pre-req but it is not reported on your record, visit the UMD Admissions office (25 Solon Campus Center) for clarification.
Who manages the waitlists?
If a seat becomes available in a course, CLA department staff will manage the waitlists after the registration appointments end. On the first day of the term, instructors/professors will begin managing permission numbers for their courses.
If a seat does not become available or you do not receive a permission number, but you still wish to be in the course, you may attend the first class session. The instructor/professor will determine the use of permission numbers. Attending the course does not guarantee enrollment in the course.
How is it determined which students are offered a permission number?
Permission numbers are offered based on the order students were added to the list. This is supported by the fact the registration queue is organized by a students’ earned/in-progress credits and last name. Students should be adding their name to the waitlist at the appropriate time during the queue. Students may not add themselves to a waitlist due to active holds, pre-reqs are not met, time conflicts, credit overload, or additional reasons.
I am a PSEO (Post-Secondary Enrollment Option) student. Can I add my name to the wait list?
Yes, PSEO students may add themselves to the wait list during their registration appointment. PSEO students are scheduled to register after the registration appointments for current UMD students. Please keep in mind PSEO students will be added to the list which includes all UMD students. Please reference the 'How is it determined which students are offered a permission number?' above for more details.