University of Minnesota Duluth
MyU | Search | People | Departments | Events | News

 Academic Affairs

UMD New Faculty
Orientation FAQ's



How do I get on payroll?

After your signed appointment letter is returned to your department, your appointment will be entered into the payroll system. 

When will my first check arrive?

Your first check will arrive Wednesday September 14th, for the period of August 22nd – September 4th.  You may request direct deposit and access your pay statement on the employee self service page:

I have some questions about benefits.  Is there a web site or phone number to contact?

Information is available at: .  You may also call Employee Benefits on the Twin Cities campus at: 800-756-2363

Is there a Human Resources contact person on the UMD campus?

Your first source is your College Administration Director. 


CEHSP Lynn Hegrenes 727-7132 125 BohH
CLA Curt Albertson  726-6505 306 KPlz
LSBE Joseph Grant 726-7282 219B LSBE
SCSE Connie Rosandich 726-7570 149 Engr
SFA Colleen Dennie 726-6183 132 MonH

How do I get a UM user name and password?

Contact your department office for your specific UM user name and directions to set up your password. 

How do I access the internet at UMD?

If you officer computer has a hard wire connection you are able to access the internet.  After you have received your UM user name, you will be able to log into additional UMD sites and through the wireless network.  If you need assistance, please contact your college technical support staff or the ITSS Help Line at ext. 8847

When can I move into my office?

Please check with your department office; they will also arrange for keys to your office and building and any office supplies needs you may have.  You may also contact Environmental Health and Safety Office for an Ergonomic Assessment, at ext 7273 or email

Does UMD have a childcare center?

Yes, Children’s Place is licensed to provide full time care for children between the ages of six weeks and the first day of school.  There is currently a waiting list of approximately six months, depending upon age.

How can I find out about other childcare centers in Duluth?

The Career/Life Alliance Services is a free childcare resource and referral information service available to all UMD employees.  They can be reached 8 – 5 weekdays at 952-894-0727 or 800-736-6416; additional information is available online at:

How do I get a parking permit?

On-campus parking options for UMD faculty include Maroon or Gold permits.  Information is available at:

Can I ride the bus to UMD?

Yes, the price for a annual pass is only $50.   Contact Parking Services for additional information.  Bus schedules are available at Kirby Student Union information desk or at:

What is a U-card for and how do I get one?

The U-card identifies you as a UMD faculty member; bring your driver’s license, state ID or passport to the U Card office in 127 Kirby Plaza and be prepared to have your picture taken!  Your appointment information must be entered into the system before you can obtain a U-card.  Additional information is available at:

Is smoking permitted on campus?

No, UMD adopted a smoke-free policy in 2007 that includes all campus buildings and property.  Smoking in cars on university property is not permitted. 

Do UMD employees enjoy any discounts in the community?

Yes, this website lists local businesses that offer discounts to UMD employees.  In addition, the website links to several discounts in the Twin Cities:

© 2018 University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 02/01/16 01:44 PM
University of Minnesota Campuses
Crookston | Duluth | Morris
Rochester | Twin Cities