Outstanding Service Awards (OSA)
May 4, 2015
Outstanding Service Awards have
been developed to recognize the significant contributions of:
- Civil Service employees; and
- Academic Professional/Admninistrative (P&A) employees that do not hold faculty rank.
Deadline Date: March 31, 2015
1. Nomination may be made by a co-worker, supervisor, department head, director, dean or can self-nominate.
2. All nominations carry the same weight, a nomination by a group is comparable to a nomination by an individual. Multiple nominations will not be a factor in the final selection process. Each nomination will be judged on its own merit.
1. The nominee must hold one of the following job classifications:
- Civil Service (non-bargaining)
- Academic Professional/ Administrative (P&A) appointment that do not hold faculty rank. Individuals holding faculty rank are not eligible for Outstanding Service Awards as they are eligible for other awards.
2. Employees who have won and are not eligible:
For Continuous Service Award: An employee is eligible to receive a Continuous Service Award once every ten award years. Those that received a Continuous Service Award in 2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-2104 are not eligible.
See list of employees who have won during the specified years and therefore are not eligible for Continuous Service Award before you create the nomination.
For Project Award: An employee is eligible to receive a Project Award once every five award years. Projects must have been completed between December 2013 and March 2015. Those that received a Project Award in academic years 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-2014 are not eligible.
See list of employees who have won during the specified years and therefore are not eligible for Project Award before you create the nomination.
Note: if the employee has a break in-service between the award years specified, contact HR&EO to verify if the employee is eligible.
3. Year of service:
The nominee must have worked at UMD a minimum of two consecutive years in one or more of the job classifications specified above.
4. Appointment: The nominee must be an employee on a continuing appointment of at least 50 percent time during the last two years.
The nominee must have passed probation in their current position.
6. Actively Employed: Must be actively employed on the scheduled day of the award ceremony.
A complete Nomination MUST include: (1) Nomination Form; (2) Performance Appraisal; and (3) Job Description. The nominee/s must have a current Performance Appraisal and Job Description in their official personnel file at UMD HR&EO completed within the prior 12 months.
The Nomination will not be deemed complete without the Performance Appraisal and Job Description forms and therefore cannot be considered. It is the responsibility of the supervisor's nominee to submit these two required forms toUMD HR&EO by 4:00pm on Tuesday, March 31, 2015.
The Selection Committee (composed of former Outstanding Service winners) will not review the Performance Appraisal but they will review the Job Description as part of the Nomination.
I. Continuous Service Award
is designed to recognize employees who have consistently
performed their ongoing responsibilities in a superior to outstanding
manner and have significantly enhanced departmental, collegiate, or
campus goals and objectives.
The Nomination must clearly show how the nominee meets the five Selection Criteria and should provide specific example(s) of the achievement and/or effort for which the nomination is being made. Longevity in and of itself is not a sufficient reason for selection.
1. Work "above and beyond" the expectations of the job classification title;
4. Excellent performance; and
II. Project Award
This award is designed to recognize individual employees or work teams who have implemented a special project during the year in supporting the mission of the campus/unit and have significantly enhanced departmental, collegiate, or campus goals and objectives.
The nomination must be consistent with the Selection Criteria of the Project Award category and should provide specific example(s) of the achievement and/or effort for which the nomination is being made.
- Based entirely on the output of the project and how it contributed to UMD;
- How it supports the mission of the campus/unit; and
- Specify if the project is part of the nominee's job responsibilities. Explain how this Special Project is in relation to the present job duties.
Must be typewritten or legibly handwritten.
- Do not include in the the nomination any situations relating to medical condition of the nominator, nominee, or co-worker; and nominee working early or late, on weekends, outside office hours, during leave or during summer for those in 9-or10-month appointments or while on vacation. They do not merit a point.
- Main nominator and other individuals supporting the nomination must use the Nomination Form and clearly show how the nominee meets the Selection Criteria.
- If submitting a supporting letter, it must show how the nominee meets the five Selection Criteria. Follow these tips if there are other employees supporting the nomination. Only the main Nomination Form is required to have the signatures. All signature areas must be signed.
Tip 1: Each individual supporting the nomination MUST fill out this Nomination Form or a similar format may be accepted clearly showing how the nominee meets the five Selection Criteria: (1) Work Above and Beyond Expectations of the job classification title, (2) Initiative, (3) Innovation, (4) Excellent Performance, and (5) Dedication.
Tip 2: The main nominator may collect all the letters of support from various individuals and summarize it in the Nomination Form and specify what each person wrote about the nominee for each of the Selection Criteria.
- Fill out and submit completed Nomination Form
Continuous Service Award Nomination Form - WORD
Project Award Nomination Form - WORD
Note: the nominee will receive a copy of the Nomination Form.
- Send the Nomination Form to:
||Via Inter-campus mail:
||Via Postage Mail:
HR & EO
255 Darland Administration Bldg
1049 University Drive
Duluth MN 55812
All awards will be of equal value except for the following:
1. Limitations as stated in Eligibility sections;
2. Maximum award amount is $2,500.00 each;
3. Members of a team receiving an award will divide a single award equally and prorated according to each individuals' appointment.
Awards are prorated according to term of employment. Examples:
Employee with 75% and 12-month appointment will receive: $2,500 x 75% = $1,875.00
Employee with 75% and 9-month appointment will receive: $2,500 x 75% = $1,875.00 divide by 12 months = $156.25 x 9-month appointment = $1,406.25
4. Only one monetary reward will be given, whichever is higher, in cases where the nominee is awarded both Continuous Service and Project Award.
Contact for questions: Deb Herstad, 726-7202 / email@example.com