Student Field Placement Background Checks
UMD students who are required through a class(es) to be assigned to a field placement where they are responsible for other people must have a background check completed and on file with the UMD Department of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity. The University uses a system of background verifications to reduce the risk of making an inappropriate student placement or being unaware of important placement-relevant information.
Objectives of Program:
- To minimize University risk by ensuring that unit hiring practices
include conducting appropriative background checks, when needed.
- To comply with federal and/or state regulations requiring background
check be conducted for specified positions.
- To ensure compliance with privacy regulations by centralizing the
request, receipt, evaluation, interpretation, and maintenance of background
check reports within the Department of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity.
- To provide information that will help units make informed hiring decisions.
UMD Policy & Procedure
UMD Procedure for Conducting Background Verifications (HTML)
UMD Forms - Required from Students
For Student Field Placements, Submit:
Background Check Consent Form (WORD) - (students must use this form in order to be placed)
Personal Disclosure Statement
(WORD) - (students must use this form in order to be placed)
Students Must Read: Summary of Rights under the Fair Credit
Reporting Act (PDF)
Instructions and Process for Background Checks:
1. Students must read the Summary of Rights under the Fair Credit
Reporting Act (PDF)
2. Students must fill out and sign the following forms:
- Background Check Consent (WORD) form: Students must complete the Applicant Name and Department Name section of the area "To Be Completed by Hiring Authority" on page 1 and every field on page 2. Make sure to provide the name of the UMD Department that will make your placement.
- Personal Disclosure Statement
Important: All fields must be completed legibly and the form signed. If the student fails to complete the forms for the required background check, the student cannot be recommended for placement.
3. The forms must be mailed, delivered, or faxed to the UMD Department of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity.
UMD Department of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity
Attn: Background Checks
1049 University Drive
Duluth, MN 55812
4. UMD Department of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity will initiate the verification once it receives both documents completed by the student.
5. Upon completion of the background verification, UMD Department of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity will notify the department that the report has been completed and advised whether to proceed with the placement. Students must not begin placements until the department has received approval from the UMD Department of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity.
4. At this juncture, the student will receive an email notice from HireRight with instructions on how to log in to view their completed background check. Students should save this report in pdf format for their future reference.
5. The department will inform the student whether the background check was successfully completed. If a "no" determination was made, the student can discuss or appeal the decision by contacting the UMD Department of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity.
Contact Betsy Behning at email@example.com with questions about this process.