University of Minnesota Duluth block M and wordmark

 Financial Collections

Leaving the University - Exit Counseling

Exit counseling is required for all borrowers of federal and University-administered student loan programs. Exit counseling provides you with information regarding the rights and responsibilities of a borrower and a lender/servicer. You will learn about repayment, deferment, and cancellation of your loan. These sessions prepare you to be responsible and effective in repayment of your educational loans.

You are required to complete exit counseling when you:

  • are about to graduate
  • leave the University (even if it is just temporary)
  • drop your registration below half-time enrollment
  • transfer to another school
  • leave for a National Student Exchange (NSE) experience

Once you have been selected for the exit process, you will receive an email with instructions to complete your exit counseling online.

Did you transfer or withdraw?

If you recently transferred or withdrew from the University, please contact Financial Collections to let us know that your enrollment status has changed. Otherwise, it will take several months for us to identify you as needing to complete the exit counseling process.


Make sure you respond by completing your exit counseling in a timely manner! A hold will remain on your student record until your exit counseling is complete, delaying your diploma, preventing registration and preventing access to your transcripts.


For more information about student loan exit counseling, contact Financial Collections.