You are here
- Power down at the end of the day: shut off computers, lights, and office equipment.
- Eliminate your screensaver, and use power management settings to let it ‘go to sleep’ instead.
- Unplug! Chargers or appliances that are plugged in draw power even when not being used. Eliminate this “phantom load” by unplugging unnecessary items, or use a power strip.
- Turn off lights when you leave an empty room.
- Close fume hoods and turn off unneeded research equipment in labs.
- Look for an Energy Star rating on any appliance you purchase for use on campus.
- Close blinds/shades in summer to keep out the sun and reduce heat.
- Sign-up for the Green Office Certification program
- Unless you need them, don’t use the power-assist doors; these are meant to help people with disabilities.
- Close and lock windows in fall/winter when you leave a room (for security and energy savings)
- If your department has refrigerators that you suspect are energy inefficient, apply for the UMD Refrigerator Exchange Program.
- Take the UMD Energy Pledge
Although these may seem like small tasks, working together will make a difference!