You are here
UMD Program & Affiliate Program Participants
Congratulations on your decision to study abroad! The more you prepare for your experience, the more you’ll enjoy it. Please read the carefully compiled materials, as even the most experienced travelers can find new and useful information. Be safe and have a wonderful experience.
—UMD Study Abroad Team
UMD and Affiliate program participants are required to attend an in-person orientation. The first half will be spent discussing general study abroad matters (registration, health & safety issues, culture etc.) The second half will be program-specific. You’ll meet other peers going abroad, speak with alumni from your program (when available) and discuss logistics to make your experience a success.
Spring 2017 Orientation
Date: Saturday, April 22nd
Location: Civil Engineering 265
(This is for students participating in Summer (affiliate programs only) or Fall/Academic Year (UMD, cosponsored, & affiliate programs.)
All students studying abroad are required to complete a mandatory online orientation. Access this orientation through your study abroad checklist following acceptance to your program.
- Orientation Powerpoint (Updated April 2017)
- UMD Study Abroad Handbook
- CISI Insurance Policy
- UMD Billing Dates
- TSA (Transportation Security Administration)
- Carry-on Luggage liquid Rules (toiletries, aerosols, gels, creams, pastes, shampoo etc.)
- Prohibited Items on airplanes
- Preparing to Study Abroad
- Electricity & wall plugs while abroad
- How to Choose Adapters & Converters
- IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) World Plugs List
- Electricity Guide: Voltage by Country
- Culture Shock
- What is Cultural Awareness Anyway
- Life Abroad (alcohol safety & student behavior)
- UMD Safety Abroad
- University of Minnesota Education Abroad Alcohol & Drug Policy
- University of Minnesota Abroad Student Conduct
- Absentee Voting (register to vote or request your absentee ballot)
Program Specific Info
Cosponsor & Affiliate Programs
For further details to prepare for your program, refer to your program provider.
UMD Program — Study Abroad Specifics