You are here
Study Abroad Billing
Before confirming participation in your study abroad program, it is your responsibility to know all program costs. You're welcome to check with our office to confirm your program costs and ensure you fully understand how, what, and when you will be billed.
Do I have to pay for UMD tuition and for Study Abroad?
UMD tuition is waived if you participate in a study abroad program. When your account is billed, you'll see study abroad program costs instead of UMD's tuition and fees on your account. Some exclusions apply.
- International Student Teaching
If you participate in an International Student Teaching experience, you'll be billed for UMD study abroad program costs in addition to UMD's tuition and fees for any credits taken on-campus at UMD. Note that tuition banding cannot apply.
- UMD Courses in Addition to Courses Abroad
If you enroll in any UMD online or on-campus course(s), in addition to your study abroad program courses, you'll be charged both UMD tuition rates and fees in addition to the UMD study abroad program costs.
- Tuition Banding
Credits taken on study abroad programs cannot be used in tuition banding. Tuition banding is the UMD cost structure that allows full-time undergraduate students to pay a flat tuition rate based on a 13-credit course load. Fall or Spring semester credits taken beyond the 13-credit load are tuition free. Unfortunately, study abroad credits cannot be used.
Where will I see charges for Studying Abroad?
When participating in UMD or affiliate programs, most study abroad program costs are billed to your UMD student account. If you have questions about where charges are billed, please refer to your program webpage for details or contact our office.
- UMD Semester or Year Programs
If you're participating in a UMD semester or year program, you'll see the program fee appear on your UMD student account. Billing for host institution fees and housing costs vary for each program.
- UMD Cosponsored or Affiliate Programs
If you're participating in a cosponsored or affiliate program, you will see the affiliate's standard application and program fees appear on your UMD account. However, your affiliate provider will bill you directly for housing security deposits or upgrade costs (such as single-room housing or optional tours).
- UMD Faculty-Led Short Term Programs
If you're participating in a UMD faculty-led program, you will see all program fees appear on your UMD student account.
- Estimated Out-of-Pocket Costs
Estimated out-of-pocket costs aren't billed to your student account. These estimated costs (such as airfare, personal expenses, books etc.) are costs that you'll pay before and during the course of your program. We provide these estimated out-of-pocket costs so you can compare program pricing and think about your budget. See individual program webpages for the breakdown of program fees and estimated out-of-pocket costs.
When will I see charges and Financial Aid for Study Abroad?
All study abroad charges fall under the policies of UMD One Stop, what and when to pay.
- When You Apply for Study Abroad
A $50 non-refundable application fee will be billed to your student account upon submission of your online application.
- When you Confirm Participation in Your Program
A $400 non-refundable deposit will be billed to your student account upon submission of the Confirmation of Participation form. This deposit will be applied towards the program fee. If your study abroad program takes place in the next tax year, the deposit will be billed after January 1st.
- When your Study Abroad Term Begins
The study abroad program fee (less the deposit) for all UMD and affiliate programs will be billed to your student account according to the UMD billing schedule, prior to the start of each semester. Winter Session programs are posted with Spring semester billing. May Session programs are posted with Summer session billing. See the program webpages for specific program fees. The program fee will be shown on your student bill, broken down into categories (see the last section below).
- Financial Aid or Scholarship Awards
If you receive financial aid or scholarship awards, they will be posted to your student account according to the UMD disbursement schedule. Financial aid and scholarships will first pay any pre-existing charges on your student account. The remaining balance on your account will be disbursed in one of two ways:
- Direct deposit into an account you have set up through your student account, OR
- A check will be mailed to your address listed on the UMD Directory. You can expect to receive the funds within 15 business days after receipt of the most previous payment. For more information and details regarding disbursement of funds, visit One Stop.
What will I see on my UMD student account?
On your student bill, you'll see the study abroad program fee broken down into several categories for individual U.S. tax purposes. The educational portions of the study abroad program are 1098-T tax-deductible. The non-educational portions are not tax deductible.
The categories you may see on your UMD bill include:
- Deposit (1098-T) - $400 program down payment applied to the educational portion of the program fee
- Program Fee (1098-T) - Educational portion of the program fee (tuition, faculty, course materials, etc.) less the deposit
- Expense Fee (Non 1098-T) - Non-educational portion of the program fee (travel, meals, lodging, etc.) You may see several expense fee lines, such as individual lines for international insurance, housing and other expenses