A Message from the Dean
I’m proud to welcome you to the School of Fine Arts at the University of Minnesota Duluth!
I encourage you to explore our academic programs in Art & Design, Music, and Theatre. We strive for excellence in teaching and learning, in the study and production of theatre and music performance, in the study and creation of visual art, and in the generation of engagement with our surrounding community.
Discover our professional units as well! The Tweed Museum of Art, the Glensheen Historic Estate, and the Fine Arts Academy offer unique learning environments, quality entertainment options, and diverse services to the surrounding community.
The School of Fine Arts is a collection of gifted artists, faculty, and staff who are passionate about their disciplines and about creating the finest undergraduate and graduate experience possible. In every discipline, students work closely with faculty. The school offers a range of degrees, including broad Bachelor of Arts or Music degrees and more concentrated, focused degrees such as the Bachelor of Fine Arts, Master of Music, and Master of Fine Arts.
After exploring these websites, come and visit us. The University of Minnesota Duluth is located in a beautiful place. With a stunning view of Lake Superior, the greatest lake in the world, the campus is a vital part of the Duluth community and the region known as the Northland.
Thank you for your interest in the School of Fine Arts. Please let us know how we can help you learn more about what we have to offer.Sincerely,
The vision of the School of Fine Arts is to:
- Interdisciplinary Education By fostering a community of interdisciplinary learners enriched by meaningful experiences with the arts, the effective implementation of the liberal education program, developing interdisciplinary curricula across the School of Fine Arts and across the campus, and by cultivating an environment that encompasses the full landscape of learning.
- Transferrable Skills By identifying and developing the transferrable skills attained through fine arts education in curricular and co-curricular settings and promoting the importance of creativity and imagination as integral to advancing society.
- Public Engagement By providing public engagement opportunities for students, faculty, and staff and expanding collaborations with our local and regional communities.
- Technology By the innovative use of technology as an educational resource, and as a pedagogical tool, SFA will integrate emerging technology as a vital component of 21 st century arts education, research, and creative activity.
- Global Engagement By developing sustainable global collaborations and study abroad programs that engage a wide variety of cultures, SFA will be an intercultural catalyst in the local community, the region, and around the globe.
educate and create across its various units, and with disciplines across the university, as well as the local, regional, and global communities it engages through a focus on: