William E. Crain: Bachelor of Arts – Geology 1955.
William E. Crain, a Duluth native, graduated from the University of Minnesota Duluth with a BA in business and economics in 1953, and a BS in geology in 1955, taking all of his courses from Professor Robert Heller. He also received an MS in geology from the University of Minnesota Minneapolis. He joined Chevron in 1957 as an exploration geologist, and retired in 1994 as director and vice president of Chevron Exploration. Bill has always been committed to earth science education. He received the University of San Francisco Medallion Award and the American Geological Institute’s (AGI) Explorer award, both of which pertain to Earth Science education. In 2002, he and the late Dr. Heller received AGI’s William B. Heroy Jr. Award for distinguished service; together they generated the vision and support of AGI’s inquiry-based, secondary school Earth Science curricula.
David L. Karpeles: Bachelor of Arts – Mathematics 1956.
David Karpeles graduated from the University of Minnesota Duluth in 1956 with a BA degree in mathematics. While working as a mathematician he continued his graduate studies in mathematics at the University of Minnesota Minneapolis, San Diego State University (MS, 1962) and University of California-Santa Barbara. His interests eventually turned full-time to a successful real estate investment business in southern California. In 1981 David received an award from California Governor Edmund G. Brown, Jr., for developing a plan for providing affordable housing in California. David (with his wife Marsha) began collecting historical documents in 1978 and established the Karpeles Manuscript Library in 1983 which today preserves the largest private collection of original manuscripts in the world. The Karpeles Manuscript Library in Duluth is one of seven in the United States. David Karpeles is author of 60 historical monographs relating to the Library’s holdings.
Dr. Jerome A. Klun: Bachelor of Arts – Biology 1961.
During thirty-seven years of entomological research, Dr. Klun has conducted outstanding research on the chemical nature of host-plant insect resistance in corn. In addition he has made classic discoveries in the field of insect chemistry and behavior that have had significant impact on agriculture, science and technology. He has received numerous citations and awards for his research. Dr. Klun graduated from the University of Minnesota Duluth in 1961 with a BA in biology after earning his AA at Ely Junior College. He was awarded the Ph.D. in entomology by Iowa State University in 1965. Dr. Klun is the author of 114 peer reviewed scientific publications, holds five patents and is recognized internationally in his field.
Dr. Casmir S. Ilenda: Bachelor of Arts – Chemistry 1969.
Dr. Ilenda grew up in Proctor, Minnesota. He was the co-author of two publications at the University of Minnesota Duluth while performing undergraduate research with Professor Ronald Caple. Casmir was the recipient of an NSF graduate fellowship his senior year that enabled him to obtain his Ph.D. in organic chemistry at the University of Colorado. After a postdoctoral position at the California Institute of Technology, he began an industrial career with Rohm and Haas in Philadelphia, and he has been there ever since. As a senior scientist he has been involved with many of their successful endeavors, from plastics to fiberoptic lighting systems. This work has lead to 14 patents. In 1991 Dr. Ilenda was awarded the “Otto Haas Award of Scientific Achievement” by his company.
Dr. Howard G. Hanson: Physics Faculty, 1947-1985; Department Head, 1951-1984.
Professor Hanson helped to establish the Department of Physics, when he arrived at the University of Minnesota Duluth in 1947 with three other new faculty. He was appointed head when the position was created in 1951 and remained in that position until 1984, just before his retirement from the faculty in 1985. Dr. Hanson received his BA from St. Cloud State University and his Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. While a faculty member, Professor Hanson was active in both the American and the Minnesota Area Associations of Physics Teachers. He spent several summers at various research labs, including Oak Ridge, Holloman Air Force Base, and what was then the Lawrence Radiation Lab. In 1963 he held an NSF faculty fellowship in Sweden. As Department Head he was instrumental in leading the department to its present size, including the addition of the graduate program and increased emphasis on research, without taking away from the undergraduate teaching mission.