Junior Counselor Program
You are here
UMD KIDSROCK JUNIOR COUNSELOR (JC) PROGRAM
The JC Program is designed for high school students who would like to further enhance their leadership skills and learn what it is like to be a UMD KIDSROCK counselor, while earning volunteer hours. All Junior Counselors will be placed into a camp group, alongside two full-time counselors and asked to take on assisting responsibilities and duties. These duties including dynamically interacting with the campers, facilitating games and projects, monitoring the safety of camp and participating in the various camp events. In exchange, Junior Counselors will gain positive workplace experience, American Red Cross Certifications, and leadership skills in an environment for creativity. Space for the JC Program is very limited and prospective participants must meet the following criteria to be considered for the program
- Participants must have completed at least one year of high school.
- Participants must complete and return the JC Application by MAY 20th, 2017. Email Application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Participants (even if returning from last summer) must be available to participate in training day on Saturday, June 3rd from 900am-300pm.
- Participants must be available to participate in one of two pre-camp workdays
Tuesday, June 6th from 12:00-4:45pm or Thursday, June 8th from 12:00-4:45pm
- Participants must complete CPR First Aid certification prior to the first day of their scheduled week of camp (a free CPRFirst Aid class during training on June 3rd).
- Participants must register and pay for each camp they are assigned before June.
Due to the popularity of the UMD KIDSROCK Junior Counselor Program, we unfortunately cannot guarantee a spot to everyone who wishes to participate. We will notify the prospective participants by May 27th as to whether they have been selected for the 2017 Junior Counselor Program. Participants selected as Junior Counselors will be assigned to a camp group each week according to their schedule and program needs.
There is a $95.00 (per week) program fee to cover general supplies, staff training, CPRFirst Aid training and certification, and weekly program staff costs. The $95.00 weekly fee applies to all participants selected as Junior Counselors and is payable by check (to UMD RSOP) or creditdebit card due on training day, Saturday, June 3rd, 2017.
Applications will be available starting on March 13th and are due before May 20th to the RSOP Office (SpHC 153) or via email (email@example.com).
All prospective Jr. Counselors can email MAYHEM at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.