Skip to main content

Quick Links

Self service

Related topics

  • Post 911 GI Bill
    The latest informaton from USDVA on this important new legislation
  • Military leave
    What to do if you are activated or have training scheduled

Credit Requirements

Education benefits are based on status (e.g., full time, half time). To receive the maximum benefit, you must be registered full time. Part-time rates are reduced proportionately. Visit for complete information on current rates.

  Full time 3/4 time 1/2 time <1/2 time
Undergraduate 12+ 9-11 6-8 1-5
Graduate* 6+ 4-5 3 1-2
Professional** 12+ 9-11 6-8 1-5

* Includes students enrolled in the Graduate School, Master of Business Administration (part time), and Master of Education programs.

** Includes students enrolled in the Master of Business Administration (full time), the School of Pharmacy, Medical Fellow Specialist, and Medical School programs.

Less than half time

If you are registered for less than half time, you will receive a lump sum payment. This payment is reimbursement for tuition and fees (does not include the cost of books and supplies). Maximum payment rates are established for training at less than half time but more than quarter time. You would receive reimbursement of the actual charges for tuition and fees or the established maximum, whichever is less.

Chapter 32 students have separate training time rates established based on their contribution record and are paid at those rates rather than reimbursement of tuition and fees.

Chapter 30 students are not issued lump-sum payments. Monthly checks are based upon the prorated monthly rate of payment and training time pursued.