Purchase of a Personal Computer
The Office of Financial Aid allows a one-time reasonable allowance for the purchase or rental of a personal computer to be added to a student's Cost of Attendance calculation. Any additional disbursement of funds based on this allowance will be done in accordance with the standard federal regulations regarding disbursements. The student must meet the following conditions:
- Student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility for federal student aid programs.
- Student must be the primary user of the personal computer.
- The computer must be purchased or rented by the student, spouse or custodial parent (if dependency status is dependent).
- The computer must meet requirements set by collegiate units; http://d.umn.edu/publications/technology.html. Entertainment hardware and software do not meet these requirements.
- Purchase of the computer must be no earlier than January 1, 2012 for the 2012-2013 academic year, and no later than the beginning date of the student's last term of attendance.
- The computer and allowable accessories must be purchased prior to seeking reimbursement.
- Computer expense allowance will be based on the actual cost of the purchase or lease, not to exceed $1,033.00. A higher adjustment will be allowed for students enrolled in art and design programs.
- Allowable accessories will include: carrying case, wireless card, printer, and USB cable.
- Student will be allowed to include the purchase of a personal computer as a budget adjustment one time per academic career (undergraduate, graduate, professional).
Students requiring specialized hardware, software, or accessories not contained in this policy will be required to file a special appeal documenting the additional cost and reason for said expense(s).
- Contact One Stop Student Services to get a Cost of Attendance Appeal form. Submit it along with the appropriate receipts to One Stop Student Services, 23 Solon Campus Center or mail to the Office of Financial Aid, 1049 University Drive, Duluth, MN 55812.
- Upon receipt, the Office of Financial Aid will review the documentation you submit to ensure it is complete.
- An E-mail will be sent to you informing you of additional financial aid eligibility and the steps you may have to complete the process.