Skip to main content
If you are a victim
- File a report on the theft with your local police department.
- Notify all three credit bureaus and place fraud alerts on your credit report.
- Close all compromised accounts immediately.
- Keep emergency contact numbers handy and report the theft to all credit card, merchant, bank, and all other credit issuers with whom you have accounts.
- Report stolen checks to check verification agencies.
- File a complaint online with the Federal Trade Commission
- Be sure you follow through on all fronts (merchant, bank, credit bureaus, law enforcement). If you get verbal agreements for resolution, request a statement in writing.
- Don't assume someone else is taking care of the issue for you.