Skip to main content


Additional SAP Criteria


If you are enrolled in dual degree programs, changing majors, or you are a graduate student enrolled in a joint master's and doctoral program, you may request an extension of the maximum timeframe provision of this policy. Requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Change majors

If you change majors, the credits you earn under all majors will be included in the calculation of attempted, earned, and maximum timeframe credits, as well as your GPA calculation.

Coordinate campuses

All credits attempted and earned at a University of Minnesota coordinate campus (Crookston, Morris, Rochester, Twin Cities) will be included when calculating your maximum time frame, GPA, and credit completion.

Undergraduate credit for graduate students

If you take undergraduate courses while you are a graduate student, credits you earn will be included in your GPA and maximum timeframe.

Military service

If you are required to withdraw for military reasons, credit completion and maximum timeframe requirements will be waived for the semester of your official withdrawal.

PSEO credits

Credits earned while a Post Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) student at the University will be included in the cumulative credit completion ratio, GPA, and the maximum timeframe calculation. PSEO credits earned at another postsecondary institution will be treated as transfer credits.

Admission Requirement

You must be admitted to an eligible degree program offered in one of the following collegiate units at UMD:

  • College of Liberal Arts (CLA)
  • College of Education and Human Service Professions (CEHSP)
  • Swenson College of Science and Engineering (CSE)
  • School of Fine Arts (SFA)
  • Labovitz School of Business and Economics (LSBE)
  • UMD Graduate School
  • College of Pharmacy
  • Medical School

Dismissed and non-degree-seeking students are not eligible for most aid programs. If you have been dismissed from your collegiate unit, or if you are enrolled through the University Studies Non-Degree program, you may still have the option to apply for a private education loan.

Contact One Stop Student Services if you have questions regarding your eligibility.