Skip to main content


International Students

Evidence of sufficient funds

The University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD) requires international applicants to present evidence of sufficient funds to cover all tuition, fees, books, and living expenses for their study at UMD.

Financial aid eligibility restrictions

Eligibility for federal and University need-based aid is limited to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and eligible non-citizens who are living within the U.S. for purposes other than studying [i.e., eligible non-citizens with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing any one of the following designations: Refugee, Asylum Granted, Indefinite Parole, Humanitarian Parole, or Cuban-Haitian Entrant.].

Students who are in the U.S. on an F1 or F2 student visa, J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, who have Temporary Protected Status (TPS), or a G series visa are not eligible for federal and state financial aid.

Private education loans

There are someĀ private education loansĀ available to international students. Students holding an F-1 visa must apply with a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (green card holder) as a co-signer. Students may check the private lenders' websites and call their 800 numbers to speak to a loan representative for more information.

International Student Services

Additional information on tuition, fees and scholarships for international students.