Skip to main content

Graduate & Professional Credit Requirements

Before a financial aid award can be paid to your student account you must be enrolled for the minimum number of credits required by the award type.

Full-time and half-time enrollment status definitions for your degree can be found at Enrollment Vertification.


You must be enrolled at least half time to be eligible for Ford Federal Direct student loans. Federal Perkins and University Trust Fund loans require full-time enrollment each semester.

University of Minnesota departmental scholarships

Full-time enrollment is generally required unless the awarding department makes an exception.

Private scholarships

Scholarship credit requirements are determined by the donor. If you receive a private scholarship that does not specify required enrollment, it will pay into your student account if you are enrolled half time or more each semester.


Work-study requires you to be enrolled at least half time each semester.

Audit coursework

Audit registration ("V" registration) does not count toward financial aid credit requirements.

Online and Distance Learning (ODL) courses

Extended-term (9-month) ODL courses do not count toward financial aid credit requirements, with two exceptions: the Minnesota State Grant and the Minnesota GI Bill allow all ODL courses you are enrolled in during the first two weeks of the semester to be counted. No restrictions are made on financial aid for term-based (semester) ODL courses.

Course 8333/8444—one credit full-time equivalent

Your financial aid eligibility will be based on tuition and fee charges for one credit, books, and help with living expenses.

999 Registration—zero credit

This type of registration does not count toward financial aid credit requirements.