Skip to main content

Quick Links

Self service

Related Resources

Hold Resolution

A hold may be imposed on your student account if you are financially indebted to the University (e.g., for unpaid tuition, fees, fines, or delinquent health service payments) or for disciplinary or scholastic reasons. Review your record for holds in the . Holds can be added at anytime. See the how to guide for more details.


If a hold is on your record, you may not register or, in many cases, obtain transcripts or your diploma until that hold is cleared with the office imposing the hold. Check for  online for your current information, including the name of the department or office where your specific hold may be cleared.

Resolving holds

To remove a hold from a record, a student must first pay the debt owed, correct the scholastic deficiency, or be cleared by the conduct code coordinator. For most debts, they will receive a billing statement and be required to submit it with payment at the Cashier's office; a student may present the receipted billing statement to the department or office that authorized the hold as evidence that the debt has been paid.

When any hold is cleared, the unit imposing the hold will electronically remove the hold from the student's record. Units may, on occasion, issue temporary hold releases. Temporary releases will allow the student to either receive one transcript or to register during the term in progress.

If, in order to register, a student pays a Student Financial Services hold for a previous term with a personal check, and that check does not clear the bank, they will be sent a notice. Their current registration may be cancelled if they fail to respond to this notice and pay their debt.