Skip to main content

Quick Links

Self service

Checklist for Withdrawing from the University

Printable Version

Use this checklist if you are planning on leaving the University of Minnesota Duluth for one semester or longer. You do not need to complete this checklist if you are leaving for a study abroad or National Student Exchange program.

 Email One Stop Student Services, umdhelp@d.umn.eduif you have financial aid. You may be required to repay all or part of your financial aid, including scholarships, grants, and loans. If you are transferring to another institution, you may need to cancel your financial aid at the University of Minnesota Duluth in order to be awarded financial aid at your new school.

 Contact your academic adviser and/or college. There may be other college requirements to follow before leaving. Graduate students should contact the Graduate School for important information on withdrawal. NOTE: Taking incompletes and finishing your course work at a later time may be a better option than withdrawing for some students. You may want to discuss this option with your adviser/college office.

 Contact the Department of Athletics if you are or were a student athlete. Athletics requires notification when a current or former athlete decides to leave the University. Contact Athletics, 170 SpHC, 218-726-6200 to fulfill this requirement.

Review UMD Withdrawal Policies. and section E. of

 Drop your class(es). If you are leaving the University for any reason, you must cancel your classes to avoid receiving “F” grades, including any classes you are waitlisted for. You may be responsible for all or part of the tuition and fees if you cancel after the first week of classes for fall or spring semester. Summer deadlines vary by the length of the class. Check the cancel/add deadlines and the refund deadlines. If you are leaving at the end of a term, be sure to cancel any . Print out a confirmation of the cancellation to keep for your records. Changing a grade to "W" (withdraw) is subject to a one-year limitation on appeal.

 Cancel your housing contract. If you live in on-campus housing, contact the Housing and Residential Life office at 218-726-8178. If you rent off campus, contact your landlord to discuss your options. There may be financial penalties for canceling your housing contract or lease.

 Return any books, equipment, or materials on loan from the University. Library books, lab equipment, keys, parking hangtags/keycards, etc. must be returned promptly to avoid late fees and/or replacement costs.

 Pay any remaining tuition, fees, and other charges on your student account. You will not be able to reregister at the University or request an official transcript if there are any past due charges on your account. Past due accounts may be referred to a collection agency and/or result in legal action.

 Are you transferring from the University of Minnesota Duluth to a Minnesota state college or university? 

If you have completed 40 credits and all 10 Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) categories:

  • Verify you have completed the 10 MnTC categories. Go to the current UMD Catalog and review the Liberal Education Program (LEP) requirements.
  • Contact the Office of the Registrar at or 218-726-8887 to have the certification added to your transcript.
  • Request that an official copy of your transcript be sent to your destination school (see below).

 Request an official transcriptIf you are transferring to another institution, that school's admissions and financial aid offices will want to know what courses were attempted and completed at the University of Minnesota Duluth. You can request a transcript online or you can come in to One Stop Student Services, 23 Solon Campus Center, 8–4:30, M—F. Before requesting a transcript, be sure that all grades are posted on your transcript by .

 Complete an exit interviewExit counseling is required by federal regulations for all students who have received one or more of the following loans: Federal Direct Stafford, SELF, Perkins, and University Trust.  If you received any or all of these loans, contact Financial Collections to set up your online invitation. 

Update your address and phone number. International students: Do  not change your current mailing address to an address outside the United States.

 Contact the Boynton student health insurance office. You may no longer be covered by student health insurance once you withdraw from school. If you are covered under the University’s hospitalization insurance, contact the Boynton insurance representative at 612-624-0627 to determine your status. This office will help you regardless of which campus you attend. If you are covered under a private policy and are no longer a student, contact your insurance carrier to investigate other coverage options.

 Contact the Veterans' Office. If you received veterans' benefits, notify the VA representative at 218-726-8791 or e-mail

 Contact International Student Services. SEVIS requires notification when an international student leaves the University. Contact Anna Gilmore, 237 Kirby Student Center,, 218-726-7305, to fulfill this requirement.

 Contact your on-campus employer. If you have a student job on campus or a graduate assistantship or fellowship, contact your employing department to inform them you are leaving the University.

 Do you plan to return to UMD? If you have been gone less than two terms, you can just register; if you have been gone longer, to be reactivated contact the advising and academic services office of your collegiate unit.