NCAA & UMD Athletic Eligibility Rules
NCAA & UMD Athletic Eligibility Rules
To be eligible to represent an institution in intercollegiate athletics competition, a student-athlete must be enrolled full-time, be in good academic standing and maintain satisfactory progress toward a baccalaureate or equivalent degree.
At the time of practice and competition, the student-athlete must be enrolled in at least twelve (12) credit hours to be eligible. There is an exception for the student-athlete in the final semester of the baccalaureate program and final semester of eligibility if the institution certifies the student-athlete is carrying all credits necessary to complete the degree requirements.
Good Academic Standing
Whether or not a student-athlete is in good academic standing and is maintaining satisfactory progress shall be determined by meeting the numerous qualifications set forth by UMD, the NCAA, or both.
To be eligible, a student must be in good academic standing at UMD. A 2.0 or greater cumulative grade point average is considered good academic standing.
Declaration of Degree Program:
The student-athlete must be accepted into a major before the start of the fifth semester. After declaring a major (and minor if required by the degree program) credits used to meet progress toward degree requirements must be credits required for the degreeprogram.
If a degree program does not require a minor, a maximum of six credit hours per term earned in an optional minor may be used to fulfill the credit-hour requirements for meeting progress toward degree (Division II only). Optional minor credits may NOT be used as progress toward degree for Division I student-athletes.
Satisfactory Academic Progress:
Percent of Degree Requirement (Division I):
Certain minimal levels of progress towards a degree shall be required each year:
|Year of collegiate enrollment||Minimum % completed courses required in degree|
|Second (3rd semester)||24 credit hours|
|Third (5th semester)||40%|
|Fourth (7th semester)||60%|
|Fifth (9th semester)||80%|
Credit Requirements (Division I)
- 24 credits completed after the student-athlete’s first year of collegiate enrollment;
- A minimum of 18 credits completed of academic credit during the previous 2 regular semesters; and
- 6 credits completed during the preceding regular term in which the student-athlete was enrolled as a full-time student at any collegiate institution
Credit Requirements (Division II)
- 9 credits completed during the preceding regular term in which the student-athlete was enrolled as a full-time student at any collegiate institution; and
- 24 credits completed during the previous academic year including summer term, of which at least 18 must be during the fall/spring academic year.
Credit for repeated courses may be used by a student to satisfy minimum academic progress requirements only under the following conditions:
- A course repeated due to a failing initial grade may be used only once and only after it has been satisfactorily completed;
- Credit for a course that per the catalog is approved for repeat credit (e.g. PE, Music) shall be limited by institutional regulations; and
- Credits earned in approved-for-repeat courses may not exceed the maximum institutional limit for credits of that type for any baccalaureate degree program (or for the student’s specific baccalaureate program once a program has been designated).
Transfer student-athletes have different eligibility rules depending on their status. They must have been eligible at their previous institution had they remained, and cannot have been admitted to UMD on any type of probation. For more information about transfer eligibility rules, contact Kate Meisner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Non-academic compliance questions:
For non-academic compliance questions, please contact Abbey Strong at (218) 726-8720 or email@example.com.