December 1, 2009
Susan Beasy Latto, Director, UMD Public Relations 218 726-8830 email@example.com
Ronald Caple, UMD Professor Emeritus of Chemistry 218 726-7215 firstname.lastname@example.org
UMD Professor Receives Alumni Achievement Award
From St. Olaf College
UMD Chemistry Professor Emeritus Dr. Ronald Caple was awarded the St. Olaf College 2009 Alumni Achievement Award.
Professor Caple retired from UMD in 2004.
He has had a distinguished scientific career both in the United States and internationally in teaching and writing and student mentoring.
Dr. Caple remains active internationally in the academic world, as well as through his humanitarian efforts. He recently crafted a new scholarship program to help prospective students from developing nations pursue their undergraduate degrees at UMD.
Dr. Caple's many recognitions and awards include:
- UMD Chancellor's Award for Distinguished Research
- U.S. Civilian Research and Development Fund Award for his efforts to advance international cooperation in science
- University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy Award for his work in advising practicing pharmacists in Minnesota
- University of Minnesota Morse Alumni Distinguished Professor of Chemistry Award
International honors include:
- Doctor Honoris Causa of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- Honorary Doctorate of Petrozavodsk State University
- Doctor Honoris Causa of Moscow State University
Dr Caple has published nearly 100 articles along with his book Organic Synthesis: The Science Behind the Art.