Communication Associate: Public Relations
| Lori Melton | firstname.lastname@example.org
| (218) 726-8830
April 17, 2009
Susan Beasy Latto, Director, UMD Public Relations 218 726-8830 email@example.com
Mindy Granley, UMD Sustainability Coordinator 218 726-8198 firstname.lastname@example.org
To view all of April's Sustainability Events http://www.d.umn.edu/unirel/homepage/09/sustain.html
Visit the website http://www.addinguptozero.com/
UMD Spring Sustainability Fair—"Energy, Campus and Community"
Tuesday, April 21
11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
UMD Kirby Student Center
The community is cordially invited to the Spring UMD Sustainability Fair--a great opportunity to learn about energy and sustainability issues, as well as visit booths of vendors, local organizations, and hear about UMD student sustainability projects.
The theme for the Fair is "Energy, Campus, and Community". Presentations in the Kirby Lounge kick off at 11 a.m. as UMD faculty member Mike Mageau presents his research on "Wind Power! Community wind projects in NE Minnesota".
Additional faculty, students, and community members will be talking about energy research, teaching, conservation, and campus sustainability throughout the day. At 4 pm, an outdoor demonstration of Hartley Nature Center's Energy Cart will take place near the UMD Kirby Bus Hub.
Booth displays and demonstrations continue throughout the day until 4 p.m.
Panels and Presentations Include: (Kirby Center Lounge -- first floor)
- 11:00 a.m. "Wind Power! Community Wind Projects in NE Minnesota, and Results from Wind Resource Research on the UMD Campus" -- Mike Mageau, UMD Geography and Center for Sustainable Community Development
- 12:00 p.m. "Campus Energy Research - Malosky Solar Array" -- Andrew Bentley, Brandon Eberle, and Scott Norr, UMD Electrical & Computer Engineering
- 12:30 p.m. "Campus Energy Research - Multiple-Energy Source Integration" -- Jeron Smith, Tom Soldner, Drew Jensen, David Buszmann, and Paul Weber, UMD Electrical & Computer Engineering
- 1:00 p.m. "Energy: Choices, Issues, and UMD's Role" -- Tom Ferguson, 3M McKnight Professor, UMD Electrical & Computer Engineering
- 2:00 p.m. "Go Lean Before You Go Green: Why Energy Conservation Comes First" -- Dean Talbott, Residential Program Specialist, Minnesota Power
- 3:00 p.m. Twin Ports Campus Sustainability Panel: "How are Twin Ports Universities and Colleges Addressing Sustainability?" --Mindy Granley – UMD, Janice Crede – UWS, Deanne Roquet – LSC, and Tom Brekke - CSS
- 4:00 p.m. Hartley Nature Center's Electron - Search For Smart Energy -- Presentation outside at Kirby Bus Hub
The event is sponsored by the UMD Office of Civic Engagement and the UMD Office of Sustainability/Facilities Management.