April 2, 2007
Susan Beasy Latto, Director, UMD Public Relations 218 726-8830 firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark Mizuno, Head, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders (218) 726-8203, email@example.com
UMD Faculty and Graduate Students to Speak at
First China International Conference on Speech Therapy
Five faculty members and five graduate students from the University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD) will make presentations at the upcoming First China International Conference on Speech Therapy, held in Beijing, P.R. China on April 7-9.
Representing UMD at the event will be:
- Paul Deputy, Dean of the College of Education and Human Service Professions
- Mark Mizuno, Professor and Head, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Lynette Carlson, Associate Professor, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Jolene Hyppa-Martin, Instructor, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Lynne Bye, Associate Professor, Department of Social Work.
The topics of the UMD presentations are:
- "Eye-Gaze Communication Systems" by Mark Mizuko, Jolene Hyppa-Martin, Amanda Stearns, Tara Watterson
- "Improving Communication in Skilled Nursing Facilities" by Lynn Bye, Colette Murphy and Jill Muecke
- "A Model for Remediation of Speech Sound Disorders: A Perspective for the Dawn of a New Century" by Paul Deputy
- "Visual Communication Strategies for Autism" by Jolene Hyppa Martin, Kathryn Guerttman
- "Assessment of Right Hemisphere Disorders" by Lynette Carlson, Jolene Hyppa-Martin
The five UMD graduate students taking part in the conference are Amanda Stearns, Tara Watterson, Colette Murphy, Jill Muecke and Kathryn Guerttman
The First China International Conference on Speech Therapy will bring together speech-language pathologists and related clinical rehabilitation professionals from China, Hong Kong, Korea, Japan and the United States. The focus of the event is on clinical applications dealing with the diagnosis and treatment of speech, hearing, language, and swallowing disorders.
For more information on the Conference see: http://www.d.umn.edu/csd/china/