Kathryn A. Martin Library Student Video Contest
Information for Student Filmmakers
The Media Hub, located in the Library, is a great resource for you to use in producing your video. You can borrow equipment and use the facilities for video editing. Professional assistance is available there.
Date of event: February 19, 2009
The Prizes in the Library Video Contest 2008 are in three categories:
- Best overall ($400 UMD Stores gift card)
- Best promotional video for the Library ($100 UMD Stores gift card)
- Best instructional video ($100 UMD Stores gift card)
Honorable mention (iPod Shuffle)
The rules are as follows:
Videos have to be:
- About the Library somehow, or set in the Library
- Under seven minutes in length
- Compliant with U.S. copyright law. It is your responsibility to find out how copyright limits you and what you can do. Note that as far as copyright is concerned, the usual leeway that comes with materials that are used in an educational setting does not necessarily apply, since these videos are going to be placed on YouTube and will be seen outside of class settings. We have prepared some additional guidance on copyright for those interested.
- Compliant with the student conduct code
- Produced entirely by UMD students (i.e. no professional editors, etc.)
- Submitted in Quicktime format.
- Submit more than one video
- Submit a video that was entered in a different contest
- Submit a video that was produced at any time in the past (as long as it hasn't already been entered in a previous UMD Library video contest)
- Submit a video that was produced as a class assignment
- Win in more than one category
Need ideas? Here are some suggested themes:
- How to do something in the Library or where things are (resources)
- Advertisement for the Library
- Movie trailer
- Pilot for a sitcom
- How the Library changed my life
- How I found love at the Library
- Dream that takes place in the Library
- Supernatural mystery of the Library
- Crime does not pay at the Library
- Music video
- Game show
- Harry Potter and the Ancient Tome
The prizes were awarded at the video showing, on February 19, 2009, in the Library 4th floor Rotunda.
For more information, contact Reference Librarian Tom Ambrosi, at email@example.com.