The library's Guest Computers are available for community users as well as students, on a first come, first served basis. They are located on the first floor of the library. Guest PCs have a choice of internet browsers for accessing UMD Library resources and the catalog, as well as web-based e-mail accounts. You can also print to either computer lab or library print stations using a UMD debitek card.
Software available on the Guest Computers:
Web browsers: Firefox and Internet Explorer
Microsoft Office VIEWERS (no editing) for PowerPoint, Excel, and Word
LibreOffice - coming soon (a free Microsoft Office alternative)
Putty and Filezilla (FTP clients)
VLC Media Player
QuickTime, Real Player, and Windows Media Player
7 Zip (unzip utility)
How to Use the Library Guest Computers
- Request a Ticket from the circulation desk. You will be asked to show some form of picture ID and sign a register.
- Time Limits: Your ticket is valid for two hours after logon. When your 2 hours are almost over, a clock will count down your remaining time. This clock is visible at the top of the screen. When you have 3 minutes left, a pop-up will alert you to save your files. At one minute before shutdown,you will be alerted again to save your files. If you choose to log off before your time limit ends, click the X on the timer window.
- Second Ticket Allowed: After your ticket expires, you may request a second ticket for the same day.
- If you leave the computer for more than 15 minutes or hit the log out button, your ticket will become invalid. Any files you have left on the computer will be deleted to protect your privacy.
- IMPORTANT: Save your work! To prevent data loss, save your files on a burnable CD or USB memory stick or other removable mediaNOT on the hard drive.
First Step for Printing From Guest Computers:
Printing is the same for all computers in the library. But if you are a guest (not affiliated with UMD) and don't have a U-Card, you may purchase a Debitek card ($1.00) at the Circulation desk and then add value to it at a cash-to-card machine (on the first floor of the library near the restrooms or on the third floor near the help desk). Printing costs .05 per black and white page. (See prices of color and oversize printing here).
Detailed Printing Instructions:
Detailed printing instructions are here.
Brochures containing the information above are available at the first floor circulation counter.
Interested in checking out materials? See Borrowing privileges for community users.
Do you have a laptop, are not part of the UMD community, but wish to access the web? See UMD Guest Wireless Service for short-term access.
If you are a community person accessing our online resources from off-campus, you will be limited to our public resources due to licensing restrictions.