TechCenter Services and Fees
Computer maintenance services are available for current UMD students, faculty, staff, and departments on most devices, including both Windows and Apple platforms. Our full-service shop provides hardware repairs or upgrades, operating system installs, software installs, virus removal, data recovery, secure recyling, and more.
A few highlights of our services include:
- Warranty repairs
- ITSS staff can provide or facilitate warranty repair service for Apple, HP and Dell computers. We are also authorized to provide warranty repairs covered by an extended CPS warranty purchased through the UMD Stores. For warranty repairs:
- Parts are covered by supported vendors during warranty period.
- Labor coverage is dependant on vendor contract.
- A copy of the original invoice/receipt and/or warranty is required.
- Loaner laptops
- Loaner laptops are available at no charge for staff or faculty who have a University-owned computer in for repair. Please inquire at the TechCenter counter when you bring your computer in for service.
- Data backup
- To minimize the possibility of your data loss, ITSS routinely creates a backup of customer data prior to beginning any repair work. The data is stored securely for up to 30 days and then deleted.
Service time and Guarantee
We make our best effort to diagnose your machine and contact you within 3 business days of check-in, excluding University holidays and semester breaks. University owned equipment is given priority over personal equipment.
We guarantee all hardware repairs for 90 days (labor) and the manufacturer's warranty period (parts). We are not able to guarantee software repairs such as spyware/malware removals.
For our current rates, see: TechCenter Rates & Payment.
Rev: 07.01.15 sab