The ITSS TechCenter in Kirby Plaza 165 combines our services for Help Desk, technical support, computer repair, equipment checkout, and classroom and computer lab support into one area.
One place to stop for "Answers, Advice and Assistance" with all of your UMD technology needs.
The TechCenter provides three types of technical support:
- Call-in service: 218-726-8847
- The TechCenter HelpDesk staff are ready to take your calls! Call to report any type of technology problem - if they can't fix it while you're on the phone, they'll ticket it and an ITSS staff person will get back to you. Call-in service is available 24x7, but may be limited in scope when the TechCenter is closed.
- Walk-in service:
- Free 15-minute front counter support for basic technology questions and services, such as:
- account or password issues
- email problems
- virus/spyware self-service scans (tools provided to customer and customer runs scan)
- mobile computing questions
- basic software questions
- initial hardware diagnostics
- computer or game console registration
- advice on computer purchases
- wireless assistance
- Check-in service:
- Fee-based computer repair service for more advanced problems that require more than 15 minutes to resolve and/or require special diagnostic tools or hardware repairs. This includes:
- virus/spyware removal (scans run by ITSS staff)
- OS upgrade or reinstall
- all hardware upgrades or repairs
- all warranty repair work (Apple, Dell, HP and CPS)
- data backup and restore
- secure data deletion (required before disposing of University-owned computers)
- data recovery from damaged hard drives
- Call or stop in for an estimate, or see TechCenter Services and Fees for our hourly rate and flat fee services.
With your University ID, you can check out equipment for classroom presentations and meetings at no cost. Equipment available at the TechCenter includes:
- Projectors (portable and on carts)
- Portable conference phones
- Miscellaneous AV equipment (tape recorders, speakers, cabling, etc.)
For digital and video camera checkout and return, visit the ITSS Multimedia Hub, Lib 260, 726-6087.
We have staff that can visit classrooms and ITSS computer labs to resolve technical problems with equipment, including problems with projectors, computer lab authentication or printing, and more. Call x6222 during business hours to report a problem.
Rev: 7.10.14 sab