Virus and Security Information
Security Checklist for Windows Computers
Required steps for all Windows computers
- Set up your local workstation account as a User (and not Adminstrator). Use this account for your every day access.
- Assign strong passwords for all local workstation accounts (including Adminstrator and Guest). Use the Administrator account only when needed (to install software, printers, etc.).
- Run Windows Update Service to install:
- All operating system security patches and critical updates.
- All security patches and critical updates for Microsoft applications.
- Configure Windows Updates for automatic installation of future patches and security updates.
- Install or update Anti-virus software. Run a complete desktop virus scan.
- Install or update Anti-malware software. Run a complete desktop malware scan.
- Install updates to other critical applications (Flash, Adobe Reader, etc.) using the Secunia Vulnerability Scanning - Online.
Additional steps if your computer stores or accesses private data
University policy requires the following steps for devices that store or access private data. For the complete policy see: Standard - Securing private data).
- Determine the local data owner (person responsible for ensuring the appropriate security of the data over its lifetime).
- Designate the Information Technology Support personnel.
- Complete the following enhanced configuration settings for Microsoft Windows:
- Set up the password security features.
- Set up the account lockout features.
- Set up the account and other settings.
- Set up computer and device logs.
- Encrypt the data following the guidelines for Encrypting Stored Data
- Review the "Data Storage and Media" requirements.
- Ensure the physical security of the workstation.
- Configure secure backups of the software and data.
- Review the "Secure Data Deletion & Secure Disposal of Equipment" requirements.
- Complete periodic review of the workstation.
Rev: 9.12 sab