Samba File and Print Services
Printing for Windows
Samba printing allows Windows users to print to most network printers across campus.
Samba print queues have been set up for most department network printers; if your printer is not listed, contact the ITSS Help Desk (x8847).
This section includes detailed instructions on how to set up Samba printing.
You must be on the UMD network to connect to Samba printer queues. If you are off-campus, you can use Samba printing as follows:
- Modem pool: Dial in and establish a network connection following your normal procedure, then follow the steps below.
- Cable modem or DSL: Establish a VPN connection to the UMD network connection, then follow the steps below.
- Select START - Run. Type in \\samba\ and click OK.
- After a few seconds, you should see a listing of folders and printers that starts with ".Aufs0". Scroll down to the printer you wish to use (for example: adpc). If you don't see your printer listed, contact the ITSS Help Desk and request a Samba printer queue.
- Double-click on a printer icon (for example: adpc) to install that printer on your desktop. Follow the on-screen prompts to install the correct printer driver for your printer (for example: HP LaserJet 4).
- Under Printers and Faxes, you should see an icon for the printer.
Rev: 9.10 sab