Disposing of University Computer Equipment
Departments often ask ITSS to provide the research, planning and documentation to assist with establishing prices for used computer equipment for:
- Donating equipment
- Recycling equipment
- Selling equipment outside the University, to another University department, or to employees
- Trading in equipment
- Transferring equipment to another institution
Beginning July 2010, ITSS will provide this assistance for department non-capitalized equipment disposal requests only. Requests may be made through our ITSS TechCenter HelpDesk. Units requesting this service will be billed at our regular hourly rate for this service.
For non-capitalized equipment disposal requests:
- Department will make request by submitting an email with all pertinent information (including a valid EFS string for billing) to the ITSS TechCenter HelpDesk: email@example.com. An RT support ticket will be created.
- ITSS staff will determine the fair market value (FMV) by researching the selling price of similar assets from various resource materials. This information will be added to the RT ticket and shared with the department disposing of the equipment.
- The selling department will document the disposal using form UM1393 for the non-capital equipment. This form does not need to be routed through or approved by Inventory Services for non-capitalized equipment disposal. Instead, form copies should be completed and maintained in departmental records.
- The selling department will dispose of the asset and the appropriate sales tax must be added to a sale price. The sales tax rate to use should be from the county that the item is sold.
- The buyer should pay the selling department with a check made out to "University of Minnesota." That check should be deposited by the selling department into their department's account using the University's Accounts Receivable process.
For capitalized equipment disposal requests:
Departments wishing to dispose of capitalized equipment should refer to the following University Policies:
Rev: 7.10 sab