UMD Active Directory
Once your Windows computer is signed in to Active Directory, you may be prompted for "Administrator Rights" when you install new software or update certain packages. This is to ensure that malicious software is not installed in the background without your consent or knowledge.
For business-related software, you have a number of options for installing software that requires administrator rights.
1 - Check to see if it's offered as part of AD services
Many University business applications and updates are available through the AD SCCM service and can be installed by the user with no additional rights, including:
- Adobe Air
- Adobe Flash ActiveX (for Internet Explorer) and Plugin (for Firefox)
Note: To install the Flash plug in, you must close all web browser windows
- Adobe Reader
- Adobe Shockwave
- Apple iTunes
- Cisco AnyConnect (VPN)
- Google Chrome
- Google Drive
- Java (Oracle JRE)
- Microsoft Office
- Read&Write Gold
To install SCCM software:
- Open the SCCM Software Center:
Windows 7: Select START - All Programs - Microsoft System Center 2012 - Configuration Manager - Software Center
- Select the "Available Software" tab.
- Select (check) the software to install and then select the "INSTALL" button at the bottom of the window.
2 - Request assistance from your department or collegiate technical support staff
Technical support staff across campus have been provided with elevated-access workstation administrator accounts that enable them to provide extended technical support to their units.
3 - Request "Elevated Access Rights" for your account
To request temporary elevated access rights:
- Fill out the online form: Elevate Rights in AD.
- Call the ITSS TechCenter Help Desk (x8847) and request "Elevated Access Rights" for your account.
You will receive an email when your account has been granted temporary administrator rights.
- Follow the instructions in the email to sign in and complete your task.
- If you are off-campus, folow the procedures to sign in to VPN first
- The elevated rights expire at the beginning of the next business day.
- This service is currently available during business hours only.
If you frequently need to install updates or software that is not on the list above but is part of your job responsibilities, or you have suggestions for other software that we should offer through AD (software must be free or included in a University site-license), please send an email to the ITSS TechCenter Help Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Rev: 02.08.14 sab