Priorities and Goals for 2004-2005
- Security Initiatives: Improve security on desktop computers, servers,
wireless devices, and the network as a whole.
- Customer Service Initiative: Improve customer service through formation
of a new customer service team, staff training, and improved tools for recording
and reporting on customer requests.
- Audit: Prepare for and respond to audit.
- Research and Development: Provide tools and training for ITSS staff and
customers that enable delivery of cutting-edge technology and improved services.
- Collegiate Technology Initiatives: Provide support for new technology
initiatives based in collegiate units. Work closely with technology staff
based in collegiate units.
- Web Systems: Complete a comprehensive improvement in the architecture
of our systems that provide web services to the campus.
The goals below are not listed in order of importance. The projects listed
under each goal are a subset of all we will do. We encourage each ITSS team
to determine how their projects will help to support our goals.
Improve Classroom and Learning Technology
- Research next-generation classroom technology.
- Establish digital video center in AV.
- Consider new technologies and uses for closed-circuit television network.
- Expand support and training for faculty use of WebCT and eGradeBook.
- Integrate web-based instructional support tools with one-password authentication.
- Support expanded use of ePortfolio.
Improve Student Services
- Support three laptop pilot programs by purchasing, configuring, and managing
the laptops, software, and networking.
- Work with collegiate units to develop new ways of delivering curriculum-based
technology services to students.
- Add a new computing lab in the Swenson Laboratory Sciences Building.
- Support the CLA Laptop Initiative.
- Investigate need for a student Linux lab.
- Automate check-in process in computer labs.
- Upgrade to Mac OS X in computer labs.
- Investigate new PC operating system for computer labs.
- Establish workstation authentication in ITSS computer labs.
- Investigate the possibility of a Student Technology Center for the campus.
- Investigate desktop management systems for classrooms and labs.
- Improve discipline policy and procedures for RESNET students regarding appropriate
- Upgrade the residence hall network.
Improve Services and Support for Customers
- Migrate customer base from Win95 and Win98 operating systems.
- Support Microsoft Campus Agreement.
- Support PeopleSoft replacement for CUFS.
- Develop document imaging support for the campus.
- Support replacement of Facilities Management system.
- Establish mobile hand-held solutions.
- Complete comprehensive review of all ITSS policies.
- Review and revise Recommended Technology Solutions.
- Expand web development services, with special attention to accessibility
and usability issues.
- Establish a useful portal at UMD.
- Attain fifty percent compliance with web accessibility guidelines for the
UMD web site.
Improve Fiscal Management
- Revise our rates for FY2006 based on ISO principles and regulations.
- Deliver on-line billing information to campus.
- Convert all credit-card applications to secure enterprise system.
- Prepare for and respond to audit.
Improve Campus Infrastructure
- Lead initiative to improve campus computer and network security.
- Continue integration of voice, data, and video over a common campus network
- Establish quality of service (QoS) on the network for ITV, IP video, and
- Extend capability for 100 Mbit data to the desktop to twelve campus buildings.
- Establish capability for gigabit data to the building in twelve campus
- Implement improved security systems and video surveillance systems on campus.
- Update and maintain the long-term infrastructure plan.
- Replace or upgrade voice mail system.
- Rewire A.B. Anderson Hall for phone, data, and video.
- Record fifty percent of cable plant information in the UPlant database.
- Complete redundant network backbone infrastructure.
- Oversee telecommunications infrastructure for building and reconstruction
projects: Swenson Science Building, Sports and Health Center, Kirby Student
Center, Kirby Plaza, Life Science, and School of Business and Economics.
- Improve phone and network services to the lower campus.
- Move public network jacks to authenticated network.
- Establish compliance with auditor recommendations for backup and security.
- Reconfigure web servers for increased security and improved capacity.
- Improve email service.
- Exercise and update operational continuity plan.
- Establish wireless plan for campus.
- Expand wireless network and move to next-generation wireless technology.
Improve Working Environment for ITSS Staff
- Encourage staff training and professional development.
- Revise annual performance appraisal process.
- Provide a working environment for staff that encourages them to stay at
- Continue to emphasize importance of a healthy and safe working environment
- Expand mobile computing options for ITSS staff.
- Move to new location for offices and operations in Kirby Plaza.
- Fill open staff positions. Welcome and train new staff.
- Review and revise ITSS staff handbook.
Participate in Campus Life
- Meet and coordinate activities with our campus partners.
- Contribute to campus governance and activities by serving on committees,
task forces, commissions, etc., where appropriate.
- Redesign Visualization and Digital Imaging Lab web site.
- Research encryption for wireless.
- Expand single sign-on for computer systems where appropriate.
- Evaluate security options for room security, including self-monitoring lab
- Investigate integrated messaging services.
- Investigate on-campus cellular telephone service.
- Research new technology for quality desktop video.
- Investigate tablet computer technologies.
- Investigate new web design languages.
- Research instant messaging and web logs.
- Investigate improved email security using digital signatures and enhanced
|Did you find what you were looking for?
|©2003 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 11/08/04
|Contact ITSS |