Priorities and Goals for 2003-2004
- Collegiate Technology Initiatives: Provide support for new technology
initiatives based in collegiate units. Work closely with technology staff
based in collegiate units
- New Models for Voice, Data, and Video: Continue integration of voice,
data, and video over a common campus network infrastructure.
- Improve security and authentication: Improve security on the campus
network and all campus computer systems by strengthening authentication, monitoring,
spam reduction, and anti-virus usage.
- Computer Systems: Complete a comprehensive operational continuity
plan for ITSS central computer systems.
- Construction: Support construction of Swenson Lab Sciences Building,
renovation of Kirby Plaza, and planning for new buildings.
- New technologies: Research new technologies for possible deployment
The goals below are not listed in order of importance. The projects listed
under each goal are a subset of all we will do. We encourage each ITSS team
to determine how their projects will help to support our goals.
Improve Classroom and Learning Technology
- Consider new technologies and uses for closed-circuit television network.
- Integrate web-based instructional support tools with one-password authentication.
- Expand services and support for online course delivery.
- Develop support and training for faculty use of WebCT and eGradeBook.
- Move AV Services to renovated space in Kirby Plaza
Improve Student Services
- Support four laptop pilot programs by purchasing, configuring, and managing
the laptops, software, and networking.
- Work with collegiate units to develop new ways of delivering curriculum-based
technology services to students.
- Add a new computing lab in the Swenson Laboratory Sciences Building.
- Move the Kirby Plaza computing lab to a renovated room.
- Improve desktop interface on SunRay thin clients.
- Automate check-in process in computer labs.
- Upgrade to Mac OS X in computer labs.
- Investigate new PC operating system for computer labs.
- Establish workstation authentication in ITSS computer labs.
- Investigate desktop management systems for classrooms and labs.
- Improve discipline policy and procedures for RESNET students regarding appropriate
- Upgrade the residence hall network.
Improve Services and Support for Customers
- Migrate customer base from Win95 and Win98 operating systems.
- Support Microsoft Campus Agreement.
- Diminish support for SGI workstations, and increase support for Linux desktops.
- Develop document imaging support for the campus.
- Put account management tools online.
- Complete the redesign of the UMD and ITSS web sites.
- Expand web development services, with special attention to accessibility
and usability issues.
- Establish a useful portal at UMD.
- Attain fifty percent compliance with web accessibility guidelines for the
UMD web site.
Improve Fiscal Management
- Revise our rates for FY2005 based on ISO principles and regulations.
- Deliver on-line billing information to campus.
Improve Campus Infrastructure
- Continue integration of voice, data, and video over a common campus network
- Establish quality of service (QoS) on the network for ITV, IP video, and
- Extend capability for 100 Mbit data to the desktop to eight campus buildings.
- Establish capability for gigabit data to the building in five campus buildings.
- Update and maintain the long-term infrastructure plan.
- Complete and maintain operational continuity plan.
- Expand quality wireless network technology.
- Record fifty percent of cable plant information in the UPlant database.
- Complete redundant network backbone infrastructure.
- Oversee telecommunications infrastructure during Swenson Lab Sciences Building
- Improve phone and network services to the lower campus.
- Expand use of network authentication for open network jacks in classrooms,
the Library, and in other public areas.
- Establish full compliance with auditor recommendations for backup and security.
- Reconfigure web servers for increased security.
Improve Working Environment for ITSS Staff
- Encourage staff training and professional development.
- Revise annual performance appraisal process.
- Provide a working environment for staff that encourages them to stay at
- Continue to emphasize importance of a healthy and safe working environment
- Replace one staff member and prepare for additional retirement.
- Move staff offices on Kirby Plaza first floor to accommodate construction.
Participate in Campus Life
- Meet and coordinate activities with our campus partners.
- Contribute to campus governance and activities by serving on committees,
task forces, commissions, etc., where appropriate.
- Improve the web site for the Visualization and Digital Imaging Lab.
- Research encryption for wireless.
- Expand single sign-on for computer systems where appropriate.
- Evaluate security options for room security, including self-monitoring lab
- Investigate integrated messaging services.
- Investigate on-campus cellular telephone service.
- Research new technology for quality desktop video.
- Investigate tablet computer technologies.
- Research high-definition television and digital video.
|Did you find what you were looking for?
|©2003 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 08/08/03
|Contact ITSS |