Priorities and Goals for 2002-2003
- Wireless Networking: Expand quality wireless network.
- Collegiate Technology Initiatives: Provide support for new technology
initiatives based in collegiate units. Work closely with technology staff
based in collegiate units
- New Models for Voice, Data, and Video: Continue integration of voice,
data, and video over a common campus network infrastructure.
- Improve security and authentication: Improve security on the campus
network and all campus computer systems by strengthening authentication, monitoring,
- Computer Systems: Improve reliability, speed, backup, and recovery
for ITSS central computer systems.
The goals below are not listed in order of importance. The projects listed
under each goal are a subset of all we will do. We encourage each ITSS team
to determine how their projects will help to support our goals.
Improve Classroom and Learning Technology
- Equip 10 additional classrooms with a standard suite of technology equipment:
digital projector, VCR with closed-captioning box, and teaching podiums containing
power and ethernet connections.
- Maintain and expand documentation for classroom technology, which is published
on the web, and placed in the classrooms.
- Improve support for faculty use of classroom technology in order to minimize
technical failures and human frustration.
- Expand use of network authentication for open network jacks in classrooms,
the Library, and in other public areas.
- Expand services and support for online course delivery.
- Establish new technology for ITV network and quality desktop video.
- Promote expanded use of streaming audio and video services.
- Integrate web-based instructional support tools with one-password authentication.
Improve Student Services
- Support four laptop pilot programs by purchasing, configuring, and managing
the laptops, software, and networking.
- Work with collegiate units to develop new ways of delivering curriculum-based
technology services to students.
- Upgrade network infrastructure in labs to support 100 Mbit data to the desktop.
- Upgrade computer equipment in 6 ITSS labs.
- Deliver a new desktop interface and additional application software to SunRay
- Add another computing lab.
- Research software server for residence halls.
- Test Mac OS X in computer labs.
- Establish workstation authentication in ITSS computer labs.
- Investigate desktop management systems for classrooms and labs.
- Upgrade the residence hall network and establish a registration system for
Improve Services and Support for Customers
- Begin redesign of the UMD web site. Implement portals for customized individualized
web access. Evaluate new UM system web design for use on this campus.
- Promote and deliver desktop tune-up service for individual computers on
- Promote expanded use of Norton Anti-Virus software on campus.
- Provide support for expanding use of personal digital assistants, especially
the Compaq iPAQ for students in CSE.
- Assist CLA with development of new laptop laboratory.
- Improve search engine technology for UMD web site.
- Attain 50-percent compliance with web accessibility guidelines for UMD web
Support Use of Enterprise Systems (PeopleSoft)
- Develop expertise and provide support for new web-based PeopleSoft system
- Promote enterprise system services with campus customers.
Improve Fiscal Management
- Revise our rates for FY2004 based on ISO principles and regulations.
- Improve ITSS internal purchasing procedures.
- Develop new revenue streams.
Improve Campus Infrastructure
- Continue integration of voice, data, and video over a common campus network
- Extend capability for 100 Mbit data to the desktop to ten campus buildings.
- Improve security on the campus network and all campus computer systems by
strengthening authentication, monitoring, and notification.
- Update and maintain the long-term infrastructure plan.
- Increase network backbone speed to gigabit level.
- Complete and maintain operational continuity plan.
- Expand quality wireless network technology.
- Evaluate security options for room security, including self-monitoring lab
- Record fifty percent of cable plant information in the UPlant database.
- Complete redundant network backbone infrastructure.
- Oversee telecommunications infrastructure during Swenson Lab Sciences Building
- Improve phone and network services to the lower campus.
- Investigate integrated messaging services.
- Establish security policy and procedures.
- Improve email services with virus checking and spam reduction.
Improve Working Environment for ITSS Staff
- Encourage staff training and professional development.
- Revise annual performance appraisal process.
- Provide a working environment for staff that encourages them to stay at
- Continue to emphasize importance of a healthy and safe working environment
- Add one staff member.
- Complete design of Kirby Plaza space for new ITSS home.
Participate in Campus Life
- Meet and coordinate activities with our campus partners.
- Contribute to campus governance and activities by serving on committees,
task forces, commissions, etc., where appropriate.
- Improve the web site for the Visualization and Digital Imaging Lab.
- Research content management systems.
- Research encryption for wireless.
- Expand single sign-on for computer systems where appropriate.
- Establish pilot project with IP telephony.
|Did you find what you were looking for?
|©2003 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 08/02/02
|Contact ITSS |