Accomplishments for 2011-2012
Improved Classroom and Learning Technology
- Applied learning-space theory to improve learning spaces, including classrooms, computer laboratories, informal spaces, and online environments.
- Completed a pilot of centralized
control of classroom technology through classroom control systems.
- Oversaw classroom infrastructure for building and reconstruction projects:
- Supported the comprehensive plan for learning and teaching support that includes such things as a center of teaching and learning, a writing center, tutoring services, and a library commons area. [UMD-SP 1.7]
- Expanded support for class-capture and other video technologies using the Kaltura platform.
- Assisted faculty with applications of Google Apps.
- Participated in the University-wide conversion from WebVista to Moodle
for course information. Provided local support for faculty to convert their
- Encouraged and supported course redesign projects to include active learning strategies, best practices, and alternate modes of delivery. [UMD-SP 1.5]
- Continued support for online and hybrid learning environments.
- Refreshed the technology in approximately one-third of UMD general-purpose classrooms.
Improved Student Services
- Participated in Welcome Week by providing workshops as well
as support for student computers and networking.
- Completed wireless networking in residence halls and campus apartments.
- Supported the development and dissemination of a campus definition of equity, diversity, and social justice and share these understandings with all students, staff, and faculty. [UMD-SP 2.1]
Improved Services and Support for Customers
- Improved customer service by setting clear priorities, focusing on fewer
projects at one time, and meeting deadlines.
- Improved the ITSS physical environment, policies, and procedures to demonstrate
inclusiveness. Emphasized the value of information technology to all people. [UMD-SP 2.6 and 6.3]
- Promoted the effective use of technology and information resources in teaching and learning, research and creative endeavors, outreach activities, and support of University business. [UMD-SP 6.5]
- Improved web services, including replacement of primary web servers, upgrade of all software, and expanded support for database-driven web applications.
- Expanded services to
users with mobile devices, including smart phones, iPads, and net books.
Provided access to UMD web
sites for smaller form factors.
the Active Directory environment to provide software management for desktop computers.
- Supported the development of a strong and consistent brand and visual identity for UMD. [UMD-SP 5.6]
Improved Fiscal Management
- Revised our rates for FY2013 based on ISO principles and regulations.
- Completed audit and review business processes for compliance and efficiency improvement.
- Improved ISO inventory compliance and reporting for resale materials.
Provided Effective Application Development Support and Services
- Continued to provide consulting and programming services to campus units,
and transformed their needs into project and program support.
- Continued to provide timely, consistent management reporting from University
data assets and transition into using enterprise business intelligence reporting tools.
- Researched new programming development technologies.
- Utilized change and project management processes to improve customer application
development and project support.
Improve Computer, Network, and Physical Security
use of secure wireless on campus laptops and other devices that require additional
- Worked to bring the campus into compliance with the University
Policy on Securing
Private Data, Computers, and Other Electronic Devices.
- Established a logging service for servers.
- Encouraged migration of
department-owned servers to secure ITSS virtual server space.
- Exercised and updated operational continuity plan.
- Completed annual security review of critical applications.
- Automated processes for responding to reports of security problems or
inappropriate use of computers on the UMD network.
- Collaborated with the Office of Information Technology to implement the
Sandvine solution for improved network security management.
Improved Campus Infrastructure
- Improved high-speed connectivity to the
Internet and to remote campus locations.
- Worked toward establishing UMD as an anchor tenant for a regional fiber optic hub. [UMD-SP 6.2]
- Led the campus to more efficient use of server equipment and facilities.
Encouraged the use of virtual servers, energy-saving solutions, and shared
data center and server rooms.
- Improved disaster recovery by implementing new virtual server backup and recovery systems.
- Began to use Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) processes at UMD ITSS to improve response to incidents and problems and manage change more effectively.
- Participated in the University-wide identity management project, including conversion of ITSS authentication systems.
- Participated in all campus renovation and building projects: Montague
- Invested in UMD infrastructure and communication upgrades to more actively promote the athletic, recreational, and cultural opportunities available on and off campus. [UMD-SP 6.6]
Improved Working Environment for ITSS Staff
- Continually reviewed and revised ITSS staff handbook. Regularly
reviewed ITSS policies.
- Reallocated staff and equipment resources from email services to web,
database, security, and programming services following the campus conversion
to Google Apps.
- Reallocated staff and equipment resources from Novell services to Active
Directory services following the campus conversion to Active Directory.
- Hired replacement staff.
- Emphasized social justice to support recruitment, retention, and support of ITSS staff and student employees. [UMD-SP 2.2]
- Continued to improve the ITSS physical environment,
policies, and services to better demonstrate our commitment
to inclusiveness and social justice. Emphasize the value of information
technology to all people. [UMD-SP 2.6]
- Worked to build community and respect within the ITSS staff.
- Encouraged staff training and professional development.
- Continued to emphasize importance of a healthy and safe working environment
Participated in Campus Life
- Worked to guide and enhance the use of technology across the UMD community.
- Maintained strong collaboration and coordination between IT staff within
UMD units, ITSS, and University of Minnesota technology units.
- Met and coordinated activities with our campus partners.
- Contributed to campus governance and activities by serving on committees, task forces, commissions, etc.
- Contributed to campus sustainability efforts. [UMD-SP 6.8 and 6.9]
- Reviewed the IT landscape for useful emerging technologies.