University of Minnesota Duluth
myUMD | Search | People | Departments | Events | News


**All international students who were present in the U.S. in 2013 are required to file taxes. This includes students who did not earn U.S. income and scholarships.**

*F-1 students should not use software such as TurboTax, H&R Block, etc. These are for residents. If you use these to file your taxes, you will be filing incorrectly and could be subject to penalties from the IRS as well as jeopardize your legal status*

Taxes are due April 15th, 2014.

Tax Sessions

There are no more tax sessions scheduled for this year. However, you can contact ISS for info on how to file your taxes if you have not done so already. There are still free tax software codes remaining as of April 1st.

Useful Information for Filing Taxes

Federal Non-Resident Tax Returns
MN State Returns

Missing your W-2 or 1042-S?

If you have U.S.-based income or scholarships, you should have received a W-2 and/or a 1042-S (fellowship earnings or regular wages covered under a tax treaty). You cannot complete your taxes without these documents if you have U.S.-based income or scholarships.

If you are employed by UMD:

  • Check to make sure that your "home/permanent address" is listed as your Duluth address. If not, please update your address.
  • W-2 Replacement: Go to the employee self-service website.  Click on “W-2 reprint”.  Select your W-2 form year (2014) and select print or email your W-2.
  • 1042-S Replacement: You must complete the Request for Duplicate 1042-S form and email it to Payroll Services ( in Minneapolis.

If you are employed outside of UMD and have not received these documents yet, you should tell your employer and ask them to help you get a replacement.

MN Property Tax Refund Returns

You are not required to submit a property tax refund return. However, you may be eligible for a refund (you never owe money for this type of return).

There are no more property tax sessions scheduled this year. If you would like instructions and forms for completing MN property tax refund returns, please email Anna ( These returns are not due until August 15, 2014.

Eligibility for Property Tax Refund

  • You must have been in Minnesota for 183 days or more in 2013 (approximately 6 months)
  • You must NOT receive 50% or more of your financial support from your family
  • Your gross income must be more than $3,900
  • Must have lived off-campus in an apartment or house with cooking and bathing facilities. You must have a Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) from your landlord.

© 2015 University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 01/28/15 09:08 AM
University of Minnesota Campuses
Crookston | Duluth | Morris
Rochester | Twin Cities | Other Locations

Cumulative Page Views: 64