University of Minnesota Duluth
MyU | Search | People | Departments | Events | News


Temporary community housing is sometimes offered by families interested in meeting international students. Please contact Kamila, International Student Services two weeks in advance if you would like to reserve campus housing or request temporary community housing. Campus housing will not be available unless reserved in advance.


A variety of styles are available to students who wish to live in University housing facilities. The traditional residence halls with either single, double or triples rooms, include room and board. Several meal plan options are available. All meals for students living in the residence halls are served in the Residence Hall Dining Center (RHDC). Depending on the plans fees range from $5,400-$6,500 per year.

Apartment style living in the Junction, Oakland, Goldfine, and Village Apartments is available for 1,300 students. Four students are housed in each apartment. Although most students living in the on-campus apartments prepare their own meals, some students purchase meal tickets, which are available at the RHDC. Apartments with no meal plans are approximately $4,000 per year.

Both the residence halls and apartments are staffed by professional staff and student resident advisers who are trained to respond to the problems associated with group living as well as any emergencies that may arise.

Off-Campus Housing

If you want to live off campus, you can check these sites for available housing: Kirby Housing, Craigs List, and UMD International Student Housing Facebook Page, UMD/Duluth Housing Facebook Page.

The classifieds section of the Duluth News Tribune newspaper usually has a number of advertisements for apartments or houses to rent. When renting a space off campus, it is important to keep it clean so that your security deposit will be returned in full.


Buying and Moving Furniture

Resources for buying/moving furniture.


Setting Up Utility Services


Contact Quest (local service) at 1-800-244-1111 or visit They can also provide the numbers for long-distance service companies, or you may use calling cards. Many companies sell international calling cards, 2 are listed here:,

Gas, water and sewage service

Contact Duluth Public Utilities at 218-730-4050, from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.

Electric Service

Contact Minnesota Power at 1-800-228-4966.

HOME Line provides free legal, organizing, education and advocacy services so that tenants throughout Minnesota can solve their own rental housing problems. They work to improve public and private policies relating to rental housing by involving affected tenants in the process.

About heating: Duluth has a heat code that states that between Oct. 31 and March 31, if the temperature is below 30 degrees Fahrenheit, the heat must be set to at least 68 degrees. If the temperature is above 30 degrees, the heat must be at least 65 degrees (unless the tenant controls the furnace).


Calling Cards

International calling cards can be purchased at most area businesses including Mount Royal Grocery Store and Walgreen's. Prices vary according to the country you are calling. Be sure to check the rate for your country when purchasing a card. You can also purchase calling cards over the Internet. Some students have purchased reliable, affordable calling cards from the You can also use your UCard as a calling card. For more information about prices and how to sign up for it, you can visit or call 218-726-8847.

© 2017 University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 04/07/16 03:03 PM
University of Minnesota Campuses
Crookston | Duluth | Morris
Rochester | Twin Cities | Other Locations

Cumulative Page Views: 3706