You are here
Registration Requirements for International Students
The U.S. government requires that international students register for a full course load each semester.
12 credits for Undergraduates
12 credits for Professional Students (Pharmacy)
6 credits for Graduates
Reduced Course Loads
See an ISS advisor before dropping below the minimum required credit hours. If you are eligible for a reduced course load, you will be required to complete a Reduced Course Load form before dropping your classes.
**Dropping below the required course load without prior authorization will cause you to lose your legal status.**
International students can only take a maximum of 3 credits in online courses to count towards their full course load required by the government.
ISS staff can provide advising on things like how to register for classes, read your APAS report, use Grad Planner, add/drop deadlines for classes, how your enrollment and academic performance impacts your immigration status, and give advice on successfully navigating the U.S. academic culture. We also serve as secondary academic advisors for undergraduate international students.
UMD Academic Advising (Collegiate Unit Advising)
ISS staff can also connect you with academic services designed to help students succeed. All of these services are FREE for students.
- Test Taking Accommodations
- Students can request additional time for exams, to use dictionaries, translators, etc. (See ISS staff for eligibility and to sign up)
- Note Taking Services
- Students can receive notes from another student in their class. (See ISS staff for eligibility and to sign up)
- Tutoring Center
- Peer tutoring in many subject areas.
- One-on-One Tutoring - Office of Diversity and Inclusion
- Individual tutoring in almost any subject. (See ISS staff for eligibility and to sign up)
- Smart Pen
- Record lectures and synchronize it with your written notes. This makes it easy for students to review audio from certain parts of the lecture and take additional notes. (See ISS staff for eligibility and to sign up)
- Writer’s Workshop
- Get assistance at any stage in the writing process.
- Academic English Language Program
- Advanced English courses directly related to students’ academic coursework.
- Supportive Services Program
- Academic enrichment courses, training and practicum opportunities, and supplemental instruction for select courses.