UMD Study Abroad Scholarships
The International Education Office offers over $90,000 in scholarships annually to UMD students studying abroad. You will be considered for all scholarships with the submission of one online application, found below. We strongly encourage you to apply for study abroad scholarships.
Application Periods & Deadlines
2014 May & Summer programs
Application period: Oct. 21, 2013 – Feb. 19, 2014
2014-15 Fall & Academic Year programs
Application period: Feb. 24, 2014 – Apr. 16, 2014
- UMD undergraduate, degree-seeking student
- Program must be IEO-approved
- Program must require a passport
Complete the online application. Applications may be submitted prior to acceptance into a program. Only applications submitted online by the deadline will be reviewed. You will receive an automatic reply indicating that we have received your application.
A short essay will prompt you to answer and address the following:
- Why did you select your study abroad program?
- How will you prepare to maximize your learning while abroad?
- What do you plan on learning during your study abroad experience?
Your online scholarship application automatically applies to all of the following scholarships:
- UMD Study Abroad Scholarship
- UM System-wide Scholarship
- Alworth Institute Scholarship (*Fall term only, students must indicate on the application)
- UMD Affiliate Program Scholarships
- (API) Academic Programs International
- (ASA) Academic Studies Abroad
- (AIFS) American Institute for Foreign Studies
- (ISA) International Studies Abroad
- (USAC) University Study Abroad Consortium
Notification of Awards
You will be notified of the scholarship committee's decision via email. Notification will be sent approximately 4 weeks after the application deadline. The number and monetary amount of scholarship awards varies each term— based on the total number of applications and funds available.