University of Minnesota Duluth
Housing & Residence Life

You may download the PDF version (266k) of this document. If you have special needs, this publication is available in alternative formats upon request. Contact Housing & Residence Life (Lake Superior Hall 149, 218-726-8178).


General Information

Policies & Procedures

The Conduct Process


Contractual Information

Important Dates for 2014-2015


UMD Mission Statement (read it here)

UMD Student Statement of Commitment

University of Minnesota Equal Opportunity Statement

The University of Minnesota shall provide equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.

Housing & Residence Life Mission Statement

UMD Housing & Residence Life, in support of the mission of the University, provides programs, opportunities, and residential facilities to student residents and others, that promote learning, individual respect, personal growth, and responsibility to one's community.

The Purpose of Housing & Residence Life

Campus living is an integral part of a student's educational experience. Housing & Residence Life promotes community development and personal growth. In choosing to live on campus, a student agrees to participate as a positive citizen in an educational community characterized by respect, responsibility and opportunity.

Respect for self, others and the University is the standard of conduct for every student. This means exhibiting consistent regard for all members of the residence community and respecting University staff, policies and facilities.

Responsibility includes making well-considered decisions and practicing self-management. Students are to accept responsibility both for self and for the positive development of their living community.

Opportunity for personal and social development is an outgrowth of respect and responsibility. Campus living offers opportunities for learning to relate effectively with others (including living and working cooperatively) as well as independently.

Communities built on mutual respect and self-responsibility enable their citizens to become more fully aware of their potential, enhancing their educational experience. Students who learn from these opportunities will be prepared to respond more effectively to a multitude of circumstances. Housing & Residence Life staff respect the developing abilities of students and are ready to listen, offer insight, provide facilitation, and suggest direction. Our staff will work in partnership with students to develop successful communities for all members. We encourage each student to make a conscious decision regarding entering into the residence community before signing the Housing & Residence Life contract.


Community is defined as a group of people living interdependently, sharing common goals, and holding community standards above individual wishes.

The educational community is at the core of the UMD Housing & Residence Life program. Through community, students are able to fulfill the principles of respect, responsibility, and opportunity.

Civility is the cornerstone of upholding community standards. Civility is behavior which expresses courtesy toward individuals and the UMD community.

As a student living on campus, you have chosen to be part of a community. Your participation in your community is important; opportunities exist for:


During the course of the academic year, a number of planned activities help students get to know one another, their community, and the University. You are encouraged to take advantage of the opportunities to become involved through participation, planning, and implementation.

Housing & Residence Life Staff

Housing & Residence Life has a number of part-time and full-time staff to fulfill our mission.

Your Resident Advisors (RAs) are students whose position is to work in partnership with students living on campus to foster a healthy community and student development. They can help you with campus information, policies, procedures, mediation, maintenance requests, campus/community involvement, etc.

Night Managers are students who make rounds of the University's residences between Midnight and 8:00am; they ensure the security of the building and address behavioral concerns to foster an environment conducive to the education and development of students.  For assistance, call 218-788-1234 (apartments) or 218-726-7381 (residence halls).

Community Advisors (CAs) are students whose position is to serve as a resource to the RAs and students. They facilitate student and community development through programs, conflict resolution, and the conduct process.

Office Staff and Student Attendants are students who work part-time assisting with various office functions, mail delivery, and other duties assigned by Housing & Residence Life personnel.

Student Maintenance Workers complete much of the maintenance work that students request of Building Maintenance.

The Housing & Residence Life program is administered by a Director, an Associate Director, four Area Directors, two Facilities Supervisors, and five Administrative Support Staff. They work with students, staff, and other members of the UMD community to create educational communities that foster academic success and personal growth.

In addition to Housing & Residence Life Staff, a full-time Custodian is assigned to each residence hall area; they assist students with maintaining the cleanliness of public living areas. Student Custodians clean in the apartment public areas (hallways, lounges, laundry rooms, and stairwells); they are not permitted to clean in apartments nor are they allowed to loan their cleaning equipment and supplies.


The University of Minnesota Duluth and Housing & Residence Life have established policies and procedures to enhance the academic and social environment of our facilities and to ensure the safety of students. Violations of the policies will lead to disciplinary action through one or more of these entities:

Alcoholic Beverages & Controlled Substances

Students with substance abuse problems usually come to the attention of Housing & Residence Life staff through policy violations or by exhibiting behavior which is not socially acceptable. Students may expect that, in addition to any sanctions, staff will address use/abuse behaviors and may suggest and/or mandate education and a chemical dependency assessment.

Alcoholic Beverages & Containers

The possession of, association with, use, and/or sale of alcoholic beverages and/or possession of alcohol containers (e.g. boxes, cases, bottles, cans), regardless of the student's age, is prohibited in University housing facilities and on University grounds. Alcohol signs may not be displayed in windows or on the outside of room doors.

If the policy is violated, all people present in the living unit will be considered to be in violation of the policy regardless of whether or not they have personally consumed and/or possessed alcohol and/or controlled substances.

Controlled Substances (Drugs) & Paraphernalia

The possession of, association with, use, and/or sale of controlled substances (illegal drugs, including the physical presence or odor of marijuana) is not permitted in University housing facilities and on University grounds. Drug-related paraphernalia (bongs, pipes, hookahs, etc.) are not permitted in University housing facilities and on University grounds.

If the policy is violated, all people present in the living unit will be considered to be in violation of the policy regardless of whether or not they have personally consumed and/or possessed alcohol and/or controlled substances.


Dishwashers, tanning beds, ceiling fans, space heaters, air conditioners, washers, and dryers are not allowed.

Residence Halls: Residence hall rooms are not designed to accommodate meal preparation. The only cooking appliances allowed in rooms are coffee pots and microwave ovens; for fire safety and sanitation, hot plates, toasters, toaster ovens, electric grills, or other appliances designed to cook food are not allowed. Compact refrigerators are provided in all rooms; non-University owned refrigerators are not allowed.

Apartments: Apartments are designed for full meal preparation. Full size microwave ovens, additional UL approved refrigerators, and small freezers are allowed in the apartments.

Behaviors Disruptive to the Community

All behaviors disruptive to the community are considered to be serious events that may require intervention. Medical and/or psychological evaluation and treatment that includes involvement of the University counselors may be required to ensure that students will receive necessary help. Housing & Residence Life staff are supportive of those who seek help and firm with those who refuse help. The response to those who exhibit behaviors disruptive to the community may include:

  1. Outside medical evaluation or hospitalization;
  2. Clearance before a student can return to the University housing facilities following hospitalization;
  3. Termination of the UMD housing contract if the student is unwilling to take a measure of responsibility for addressing underlying problems, and/or;
  4. Reassignment to a temporary space pending decision regarding the housing contract.


Students are expected to comply with reasonable requests made by authorized University officials who include Resident Advisors, Night Managers, and Community Advisors. Failure to comply is termed "non-compliance" and will result in referral for disciplinary action.

Courtesy Hours, Quiet Hours, & Sound Equipment

Courtesy Hours

The realities of community living dictate that individuals respect community needs for the moderation of sound. Students are expected to exercise good judgment and consideration in maintaining a living environment conducive to the achievement of the educational mission of the University. This includes accepting responsibility for one's behavior and respecting other students.

Courtesy hours are in effect at all times. Students have the right to study and sleep in their living unit at any time without unreasonable interruption. Students are to conduct themselves with consideration for other students in their community. Courtesy hours extend beyond the buildings to University grounds; people are to be considerate of others whether inside or outside of University housing facilities.

Students are expected to address noise problems that affect them. If assistance is needed, a student may contact an RA, Night Advisor, or Apartment Security member. Students must comply with all policies and regulations regarding sound equipment and recreational activities within the University housing facilities.

Quiet Hours

Quiet hours are in effect throughout the year as follows:
Weekdays 10:00 pm - 8:00 am
Weekends 12:00 midnight - 10:00 am

Students must keep the sound level very low, refrain from any loud activity, and refrain from playing sound equipment (e.g., stereos, radios, TVs, etc.) at a level that can be heard outside their living unit. During finals week and the preceding weekend, all University housing facilities observe quiet hours around the clock.

Sound Equipment

Stereos, radios, and televisions must be operated at volumes that cannot be heard outside the student's living unit. Stereo speakers are not allowed in windows. Electronically amplified instruments are allowed in the living units if used in a manner that does not disturb community members; the use of headphones is required in the residence halls and encouraged in the apartments. If reasonable volume levels are exceeded, the student may be required to remove the equipment from the living unit.

Damages & Vandalism

Students are held responsible for damages caused by themselves or their guests in private and public spaces. Costs are billed to the student(s) and will appear on their student account. Examples of costs from 2013-2014 are listed below:

wall repair/repainting at least $50.00
door damage at least $125.00
window replacement at least $50.00
carpet damage at least $25.00

If vandalism occurs in University housing facilities, students must submit reports to University Police (Darland 287, 218-726-7000 or 911) and Housing & Residence Life staff immediately and cooperate in the investigation. University Police and Housing & Residence Life will determine responsibility; persons identified as responsible for vandalism are subject to consequences through Housing & Residence Life, the University, and/or city/state/federal court.

Decorating & Student Construction

While students are encouraged to add their own personal touches to their rooms, practices that might create fire, health hazards, and/or damage to facilities are not permitted. Specifically:

Door decorations (including wrapping paper) may cover no more than one third of the door surface.

Students will be held financially responsible for damages.

In the residence halls, students may use small amounts of poster tape (e.g., masking tape, poster tack material, etc.) to attach items to walls. Nails and/or screws are not to be used to attach items.

In the apartments, students may not use any adhesive material that might damage the wall surface/finish. A small number of tiny finishing nails, hanging pins, or staples may be used to attach items to walls. Students may not attach items to doors or wood furnishings using screws, nails, and/or duct tape. Students will be billed for damage caused by the use of adhesive materials or overuse of nails, staples, etc. Do not try to repair holes caused by nails, staples, etc. Self-adhering corkboards may not be used on any surface because of the damage that they cause.

Message boards are permitted on doors provided that they do not cause damage. Do not use nails or screws on the doors; holes are not allowed in the door surface. Students are responsible for any damage (e.g., holes, scratches, discoloration of finish) to their door(s). Some causes of door damage are dartboards (prohibited in living units), mirrors, utility hooks, etc. Generally when damages occur, the entire door is replaced at the expense of the student(s). Door prices range from $125.00 to $600.00 depending upon the type.
Student Construction

In general, student construction is discouraged. University furnishings may not be used to support student construction. If any person is injured by a hazard constructed by the student and the injured person claims the University is responsible for payment of medical bills or damages, the student will be financially responsible to the University.

Students may not build lofts. University furnishings and fixtures may not be used to raise beds off the floor.
Painting Rooms

Students are not allowed to paint the walls, ceilings, floors, and/or furnishings of their living unit. If the pre-existing condition of a living unit warrants painting, a repair request may be submitted to Building Maintenance (Lake Superior Hall 103, click here for repair request). Painting must be completed by University-authorized personnel.

Explosives & Weapons

Firearms, bows and arrows, swords, BB guns, pellet guns, darts and dartboards, sling shots, water balloon launchers, ammunition, paintball guns, airsoft guns, other weapons, fireworks, firecrackers and any other materials that may create a health hazard or inflict bodily injury are strictly prohibited on University housing premises. Motorized vehicles (e.g., mopeds, motorcycles, etc.) may not be brought into housing facilities.

Fire Safety

Violations of the fire safety policy put people's lives in jeopardy.

Fire Hazards

Due to their propensity to start and/or accelerate fire, the use/possession of the items that follow is either not permitted or restricted in University housing facilities.

Barbeque Grills: Barbeque grills may not be used within 20 feet of a University housing facility. Charcoal, starter fluid, and compressed gas tanks may not be stored in University housing facilities.

Beds, Mattresses, and Linens: Beds, mattresses, and linens must be kept at least one foot away from all heat sources to avoid damage or fire.

Candles/Incense: Candles, incense, other items that may produce open flames (lit or unlit), and candle warmers are prohibited in University housing facilities.

Clothing irons: Unplug your clothing iron when it is not in use.

Cooking: Attend food while it is cooking. Turn off the burners and stove when not in use.

Electric Heating furnished by the University: While some apartments are heated by hot water radiators, many have electric heating units mounted at baseboard level. Keep all items at least one foot from the heaters.

Extension Cords: Standard extension cords are not allowed. Power strips (UL-approved extension cords with built-in circuit breakers) are allowed.

Fabric: Fabric (flags, sheets, blankets, plastic banners, etc.) may not be hung in front of doors, on walls, or draped from the ceiling. Other decorations should cover no more than one third of a wall's surface.

Halogen Lamps: Lamps with halogen bulbs are not allowed.

Hookahs: Hookahs are not allowed.

In the residence halls, hot plates, toasters, toaster ovens, George Foreman grills, and any appliance with an open element are not allowed.

Egress: A path of egress must be maintained between the room door and the window. Students may not block egress with furniture and other items.

Fire Alarms

When a fire alarm sounds, students (except those who are mobility-impaired) must leave the building via the nearest exit. Call 911. Students with mobility impairments are to remain in their room and wait for evacuation by the Duluth Fire Department. Students who do not comply with evacuation are subject to disciplinary sanctions. Fire drills are conducted three times each academic year.

Fire Safety Equipment

Tampering with fire prevention/response equipment (a federal offense) may create a serious safety hazard. People who tamper with the equipment will be referred for University disciplinary action and/or civil prosecution. Violation of this policy may result in termination of the student's Housing & Residence Life contract.

Smoke detectors are installed for the protection and safety of students living in University housing facilities. Housing & Residence Life staff test smoke detectors on a regular basis to ensure they are operational. Students who believe their smoke detector is not working properly or may be too sensitive should report the problem immediately to Building Maintenance (Lake Superior Hall 103, 218-726-8400).

Tampering with smoke detectors is prohibited. Students of a living unit in which a smoke detector is disconnected, turned off, or tampered with will be referred for disciplinary action and charged for repair/replacement of the device. According to State Fire Code, "An occupant who willfully disables a smoke detector or causes it to be malfunctioning, resulting in damage or injury to persons or property, is guilty of a misdemeanor."

Do not prop fire doors. Fire code requires that fire doors (stairwell doors, building entrance/exit doors) not connected to the fire alarm system be closed at all times. Fire doors with electromagnetic holders (part of the fire alarm system) will release and close automatically when an alarm sounds.

Each hallway is equipped with a fire extinguisher for the safety and protection of students. If an extinguisher is used to put out a fire, the students must report the incident to their RAs. Housing & Residence Life conducts inspections of fire extinguishers periodically.

All residence halls and apartments have fire sprinklers for additional fire safety. Students are NOT PERMITTED to hang anything from or tamper with the sprinkler system; doing so may impede their function and/or cause the system to activate. Students will be billed for the full costs of any damage resulting from misuse of the sprinkler system.

Fire Emergency Instructions

In a fire emergency:
If you think there is a fire in the hallway:
In case of minor fire:


Students are responsible for the condition of their living unit and for all University furniture within their living unit. University furniture placed in residence hall rooms and apartments may not be removed from its assigned area.

University furnishings may not be removed from lounges and public areas.

Permanently affixed/fastened room fixtures such as bookshelves, closets, desks, etc. may not be tampered with or removed. If students modify their furnishings (e.g., partitions, bookshelves, other structures), they do so at their own risk. Students will be financially responsible if a person is injured by any structure or article constructed or brought into the living unit.


Waterbeds are not permitted in University housing facilities.

Safety rails for bunk beds are available from Building Maintenance (Lake Superior Hall 103, click here for repair request).

Spreader bars are available for those with Junior Loft beds.  When the frame is raised significantly, spreader bars keep the headboards from spreading apart at floor level.

Students are not permitted to build lofts. University furnishings may not be used to raise beds off the floor.


In the residence halls, students may bring carpeting for their rooms. Rubber-backed carpeting is not allowed. Carpeting may not be attached to the floor with tape, glue, screws, etc.

In the apartments, Burntside, and Ianni, students are responsible for any damage (e.g., burns, stains, rips, etc.) to the carpet. If the carpet is damaged, the surface area to be re-carpeted is generally larger than the damaged area; replacement of the carpet for the entire room might be necessary. In areas with "drop in" carpet, the entire piece will be replaced. If a substance is spilled on the carpet, clean the area immediately to prevent stains from setting. Contact Building Maintenance (Lake Superior Hall 103, 218-726-8400) for advice and/or cleaning products to remove the stain.


For living units with hot water radiators, do not turn off radiator valves and/or leave windows open during cold weather; pipes may freeze and break resulting in damage to property. Keep furniture and all other materials at least one foot away from room heaters.

If your heater is not working properly, contact Building Maintenance (Lake Superior Hall 103, 218-726-8400).


The security of your living unit, your personal property, and the property of your roommate(s) is dependent on responsible care of your keys and conscientiously locking your door each time you leave the room. If you lose a key, inform your roommate(s) and RA in case someone should find the key and attempt to enter your living unit.

Keys are the property of the University of Minnesota Duluth and may not be duplicated. A student is not allowed to loan, sell, or transfer a University key to another person to access Housing & Residence Life facilities. Students are encouraged to immediately report lost keys to the Lake Superior Hall Information Desk (Lake Superior Hall 189). The lock core(s) and keys will be changed for living units to which keys have been lost. The student will be charged as follows:

Living unit lock core $ 60.00
Outside door key $ 7.50

If the student recovers the lost key(s), a refund of $3.50 will be issued for the outside door key. Recovered keys for living units are non-refundable.

Students are encouraged to carry their keys. An excessive number of lockouts may result in disciplinary action.

Ovens & Burners (apartments)

Students are encouraged to place foil on the floor of ovens and under burners to minimize the amount of clean up required. Foil drip pans for ovens and burners are available at the area offices. Ovens and burners must to be cleaned periodically to prevent grease fires.


In the residence halls, do not use sharp objects to chip ice when defrosting the refrigerator. If the freezer compartment is punctured, students will be held responsible for damages/replacements.

Proper Defrosting:

  1. Remove all items from the refrigerator and freezer.
  2. Turn the temperature control to "off".
  3. Allow the frost to thaw. Thawing can be aided by placing a pan of hot water in the freezer.
  4. Wipe the inside of the refrigerator and freezer with a damp cloth.
  5. Empty the drain pan located beneath the refrigerator.
  6. Place the clean ice tray (empty) in the freezer.
  7. Turn the temperature control "on" and close the refrigerator and freezer doors.

In the apartments, refrigerators are frost-free. To clean the refrigerator:

  1. Remove all items from the refrigerator/freezer.
  2. Turn the temperature control to "off".
  3. Wipe the inside of the refrigerator/freezer with a damp cloth.
  4. Empty the drain pan located beneath the refrigerator.
  5. Turn the temperature control "on" and close the refrigerator and freezer doors.

Sinks & Bathtubs (apartments)

Use non-abrasive cleaning agents on sinks, bathtubs, and other fixtures. Permanent damage may result from use of abrasive cleaners.


Gambling is not permitted in University housing facilities.


Students' guests must abide by the policies of the University and Housing & Residence Life. The hosting student is responsible for providing guests with policy information and is responsible for their guests' actions. If residents of a room/apartment are hosting guests and policy violations occur, additional sanctions may be incurred for creating an environment out of compliance with University/Housing & Residence Life standards.

Students and their guests must be sensitive to the needs and wishes of other members of their living unit and the community. In particular, overnight guests have been a point of irritation among students sharing a living unit; students are expected to discuss preferences and arrangements for inviting guests, including the possible disruption and discomfort that might arise. In cases where common ground is not established, the desire of a student not to have overnight guests in the living area will take precedence over the privilege of a student to host guests overnight.

The residents of a room/apartment are the hosts of all guests and must be present during their visitation while in the residence halls/apartments. Hosts are responsible for their guests' actions and behaviors. Hosts are also responsible for any damages and/or special costs that result from the behaviors of their guests.

When students sharing a living area are in agreement to having guests, a guest may stay up to three nights in a row. A guest who stays longer than 72 hours (or is present with unreasonable frequency) will be considered an illegal occupant, and the students responsible for the living area will face disciplinary action.

Community members and staff members should address problems or concerns created by the presence and/or behavior of guests in the area; resolution may include immediate removal of a guest from the area by Housing & Residence Life staff or University Police along with limiting or revoking future guest privileges and/or disciplinary sanctions.

Escort Policy

From 10:00 pm to 8:00 am, guests must be escorted by a student assigned to the immediate living area. Any visitor exhibiting inappropriate behavior will be asked to leave the University's housing facilities.

Guest Parking

Guests must park in meter spots or on city streets where permitted. Meters are enforced Monday-Friday, 8:00am-6:30pm. For more info, click here.

Room Capacity

The maximum number of people allowed in a residence hall room is six (residents plus guests); the maximum number of people allowed in an apartment (without Private Event Registration) is nine (residents plus guests).

Private Event Registration (apartments)

A private event is a group of more than nine people per apartment. The maximum number of people allowed at a private event is 25.

Hosts of a private event are responsible for their guests' actions and behavior. The hosts are also responsible for any damages or special costs that result from the event.


"In all of its activities, the University strives to sustain an open exchange of ideas in an environment … that provides an atmosphere of mutual respect, free from racism, sexism, and other forms of prejudice and intolerance…" In as much, harassment of any form is not acceptable at the University. For more information, visit the Office of Equal Opportunity (DAB 255, 218-726-6827, TTY/TTD 218-726-6115,

Staff Harassment

The harassment of University staff is not tolerated. Such behavior is disruptive to the residence community and will be treated as disorderly conduct. Students can expect serious consequences, including immediate termination of their housing contract.

Appropriate Use of Information Technology

According to the University's Policy on the Appropriate Use of Information Technology, "…information transmitted electronically, by telephone, voice mail, or computer systems, is subject to the same rules and laws that apply to written and oral communications. Information that others view as abusive, profane, pornographic, threatening, libelous, or sexually, racially, or religiously offensive may be addressed under other university policies, such as the Student Conduct Code or the Policy on Sexual Misconduct."


Students are required to provide current identification to authorized University officials (including Resident Advisors, Night Advisors, Apartment Security members, and Community Advisors) upon request. Failure to comply and/or providing false identification will result in referral for disciplinary action.

Missing Person Policy

The purpose of this policy is to establish procedures for the University of Minnesota Duluth's response to reports of missing student residents who reside in University owned housing facilities, as required by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008.

For purposes of this policy, a student resident may be considered a "missing person" if the resident's absence is suspiciously different to his/her usual pattern of behavior and/or unusual circumstances may have caused the absence.

I. Student designation of missing person contact information

  1. Students age 18 and above and emancipated minors: Student residents will be given the opportunity to designate on the key card an individual or individuals to be contacted by the University no more than 24 hours after the time that the student resident is determined to be missing. A designation will remain in effect until changed or revoked by the student resident via email to or that student is no longer a resident of University housing.
  2. Students under the age of 18 and not emancipated: In the event a student resident who is not emancipated is determined to be missing, the University is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian no more than 24 hours after the student resident is determined to be missing.

II. Official notification procedures for missing persons

  1. Any individual on campus who has information that a University student resident may be a missing person must notify the University Police Department as soon as possible.
  2. If a report of a potential missing person is made to Housing & Residence Life, H&RL staff will immediately contact and work with the University Police Department. Cooperative efforts may include:
    • Conduct a health and wellness check on the resident,
    • Attempt to make contact via cellular phone, e-mail, or other means,
    • Identify other students who may be aware of the missing person's whereabouts (e.g. roommate, friends, classmates, etc.).
  3. The University Police Department will gather all essential information about the University student resident from the reporting person and other individuals who may provide information that will assist with the investigation.
  4. No later than 24 hours after determining that a University student resident is missing, the Director of University Police or designee will notify the "missing person" contact (for students 18 and above and emancipated minors) or the parent/guardian (for students under the age of 18 and not emancipated) that the student resident is believed to be missing.

III. Campus communications in the event of a missing student resident

In cases involving missing student residents, all inquiries by media or the public regarding missing student residents shall be referred to University Relations. All public statements will be coordinated through University Relations.


Only fish in aquariums are allowed.  Aquarium size may not exceed 10 gallons.


Posters, flyers, and banners must be approved at the Lake Superior Hall Information Desk (Lake Superior Hall 189) before being posted in University housing facilities. The distribution of materials by other means is prohibited. General guidelines for postings are:

For more information, contact the Lake Superior Hall Information Desk (Lake Superior Hall 189, 218-726-7381).

Recreational Activities

To protect students and Housing & Residence Life facilities, floor hockey, baseball, softball, tennis, soccer, skateboarding, bike riding, inline skating, basketball, water fights, throwing Frisbees, dartboards, and other acts that may be disruptive or destructive are prohibited in University housing facilities. Snowball fights, snowboarding, and skateboarding are not permitted on University grounds. For paintball guns, BB guns, and pellet guns, see Explosives & Weapons.

Most housing facilities have recreational equipment available at the area offices for check-out. Please refer to the Services Section. Housing & Residence Life sponsors Open Recreation on Fridays and Saturdays from 9:00 pm to midnight in the Sports & Health Center.

Residence Entry Guidelines

The University respects the student's right to freedom from illegal or unreasonable searches and invasions of privacy. Housing & Residence Life reserves the right to enter living units under the following conditions:

  1. By authorized University personnel with 24 hours advance notice to ensure that health, fire and safety regulations are maintained;
  2. By authorized University personnel with 24 hours advance notice to make improvements and repairs and to provide routine maintenance services;
  3. By authorized University personnel without notice if students request repair or maintenance work to be done in their living unit, whether or not they are home;
  4. By authorized personnel without notice, in emergency situations to protect the health and welfare of the student or to make emergency repairs to prevent damages to the property of the student and the University;
  5. By authorized University personnel without notice when there is clear and present indication that a violation of University or civil regulations is being committed;
  6. By law enforcement officers in the performance of statutory duties and in accordance with legally defined procedures governing search and seizure;
  7. By authorized University personnel without notice for check-in/check-out, for safety checks at semester/holiday breaks, and work orders submitted prior to occupancy. Policy violations (alcohol, alcohol containers, candles, etc.) in plain view will be documented, and the residents will be referred through the disciplinary process.
  8. By authorized University personnel when a major remodeling project is taking place (e.g., window replacement). The residents involved are notified of such projects.

Severe Weather

In case of a severe weather warning:

  1. Go to an inner hallway on a lower floor or to your bathroom. In the residence halls, people may also go to the basement of the building and windowless portions of the pedestrian tunnel system.
  2. Stay away from building entrances and windows.
  3. If possible, bring a battery-operated radio with you to listen for further reports. Tune to AM610 for continuous weather updates.

To find out about University closings due to snow, call 218-726-SNOW. You may also sign up for text messages on University emergencies.

Students are encouraged to have flashlights available in the event of a power outage.

Smoking, Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes

Smoking and chewing tobacco and the use of electronic cigarettes is prohibited on all UMD property, including indoor facilities, campus grounds and University vehicles.

You can report a violation of the policy through the University’s confidential reporting system by emailing


Door-to-door solicitation is prohibited in University housing facilities except by candidates campaigning for public office who have filed for election. Candidates wishing to campaign or distribute campaign materials in University housing facilities must acquire approval at least one business day in advance from the Associate Director of Housing & Residence Life for the living area. Campaign literature may not be placed in mailboxes or under room doors.

Individuals or organizations that wish to distribute non-commercial literature or communicate their beliefs to students will be allowed to set up tables in designated public areas of housing facilities once per academic semester. To avoid scheduling conflicts, any group or person seeking access to University housing facilities for this purpose must submit a written request to the Associate Director of Housing & Residence Life for the living area and receive approval at least three business days in advance. Soliciting funds or selling products or services is prohibited except by organizations directly affiliated with the University that have obtained approval from Housing & Residence Life (Lake Superior Hall 149, 218-726-8178).

Students are not permitted to conduct or solicit business activities from their living units. Flyers may not be placed under room doors.

Traffic Control Devices

Signs and/or traffic control devices that are the property of the University, federal, state, county, or city governments are not permitted in University housing facilities. Students who have signs and/or traffic control devices in their living units will be referred to University Police.

Trash Removal

Plastic trash bags are available at the Lake Superior Hall Information Desk and apartment offices. Place trash in plastic bags, and securely tie the bags. In the residence halls, place trash bags in a designated garbage room on the floor or in the section; in the apartments, place trash bags in the dumpster located near the area. Trash may not be left in hallways, restrooms, stairwells, other public areas in the building, and/or on University grounds; students who do so will face disciplinary action.

Windows, Roofs, & Screens

Screens may not be removed or displaced. Windows are not to be used as an entry or exit. Items may not be hung out of windows or fastened to the outside of any University housing facility. Throwing/discarding items from windows is not permitted. Students are not allowed on the window ledges and roofs of University housing facilities. Any student seen on a roof will be referred to the conduct process and charged for any damages.

Students will be charged for repair, damage, and/or loss resulting from misuse of the living unit.


Link to the complete Student Conduct Code for students at the University of Minnesota Duluth.

UMD expects students to be responsible and mature. Policies and procedures are established to promote a healthy environment. The conduct process is designed to address inappropriate and/or illegal behavior for the benefit of the living communities. Sanctions are assigned based on the type and severity of the violation, recidivism, the student's openness to change, and the impact of behavior on the community; sanctions are not necessarily sequential. Students are responsible to (and may be held accountable in) their living community, the University community, and the larger community; violations involving more than one community may result in sanctions in each affected community.

Housing & Residence Life utilizes a system called "Maxient" to distribute student conduct communications.  Students are responsible to open, read, and understand communications sent to their UMD e-mail accounts via Maxient.

Any behavior that would endanger the safety or well being of other residents or the University's housing system could result in a student's interim suspension from University housing or relocation to another University housing assignment.  An interim suspension would stand pending action at the Office of Student Conduct.

Students who violate policy must accept full individual responsibility for their actions and cannot expect the University to provide them with immunity from civil or criminal prosecution.

Illegal and/or inappropriate behavior is documented by Housing & Residence Life staff. Students who violate policies and/or are associated with the violation of policies will face disciplinary action; students are expected to cooperate in investigations of incidents that occurred in their living unit. Students and staff involved in incidents will have an opportunity to discuss the incident with a Housing & Residence Life official. A Housing & Residence Life official will review reports and information from the incident and...


An appeal is the review of the disciplinary action and not a rehearing of the evidence from the incident unless appropriate as described in the appeal form. Any student who faces disciplinary action or has been assigned a sanction may appeal. A request for an appeal must be submitted in writing within five business days of the decision and be based on one or more of the following concepts:

  1. Severity of the sanction: Sanctions for particular violations fall within a range. For example, a violation of disruptive noise can result in 15-25 University work service hours. If a student's sanction falls within the range, the appeal will be denied.
  2. Introduction of new evidence: A student must include the new evidence in the written appeal. If the evidence warrants another conduct meeting, the case will be referred to the original University official.
  3. Lack of procedural due process: Due process is defined by a notice of violation and an opportunity to meet with a Housing & Residence Life official. A student's failure to schedule and/or attend a meeting does not constitute lack of due process; in such a case, a student's responsibility is determined from the content of the incident report(s).

Forms to request an appeal are available from Housing & Residence Life (Lake Superior Hall 149).

Community Action Plan

A student has the right to live in an environment that supports their success at UMD. A floor or section may be placed on a Community Action Plan should the level of respect and responsibility by members of the community interfere with this right. Housing & Residence Life staff work in partnership with students to develop successful communities.

A Community Action Plan is a formal process that begins with a floor/section meeting in which disciplinary consequences for the community are reviewed and expectations for future behavior are given. Successive stages are implemented if early stages do not affect change.

Stage One

Stage Two

Stage Three


A number of services are available to students who live on campus through Housing & Residence Life and other operations. They are designed to support students in fulfilling their personal and academic goals.

Bicycle Storage

Bicycle storage is offered on a space-available basis in three areas:

Griggs (between sections N and P) Accessible via LSH 189 (8:00 am - midnight)
Griggs EF (lower level) Accessible via LSH 189 (8:00 am - midnight)
Ianni (lower level) Accessible via LSH 189 (8:00 am - midnight)

For more information, contact the Lake Superior Hall Information Desk (Lake Superior Hall 189, 218-726-7381). Students are encouraged to lock their bikes within storage areas. Other items may not be stored in these areas. Housing & Residence Life assumes no responsibility for loss of and/or damage to bicycles in storage areas. It is the student's responsibility to have insurance coverage for damage to or theft of bicycles and all other personal property.

Bicycles may not be left in public areas inside of University housing facilities; bicycles found in stairwells, lounges, and/or other public areas will be removed, and locks and chains will not be replaced. Outside of University housing facilities, bicycles may be stored/parked only in the University's bicycle racks.

Cable Service

UMD cable service is provided to each living unit at no additional cost. Use a standard coaxial AV cable to connect your TV to the wall jack.

After the TV is connected to the wall jack, turn on the TV; it should display many channels. If not, use the TV remote (or the buttons on the TV) to change its programming. Push the MENU (or PROGRAM) button. Scroll through the listings. Look for a setting that says CABLE or ANTENNA. Use the buttons (usually the ones marked with + or - ) to highlight or change the setting to CABLE. Push the MENU (or Program) button again to exit. If you have a digital TV, many channels between 2 and 88 should now work. See your owner's manual.

For minor repairs (wall jack, connecting cable), help adjusting/programming your TV, and questions about basic service, contact Building Maintenance (Lake Superior Hall 103, click here for repair request). For questions about service, call Building Maintenance (218-726-8400).

Cleaning Equipment

Students may pick up trash bags and check out cleaning equipment (mops, brooms, buckets, and dust pans) from the Lake Superior Hall Information Desk and apartment offices during posted hours. Students are responsible for any borrowed equipment.

Repair/replacement due to damage and/or loss of equipment will be billed to the student. Students are responsible for providing their own vacuum cleaners.

Dining Center

Students with a meal plan dine in the Dining Center.  Students assigned to the residence halls must choose one of three meal plans offered (19- , 14- , or 10-meals-per-week).  Students assigned to the apartments are not required to participate in a meal plan; they have the option to participate in one of four meal plans (19- , 14- , 10-, and 5-meals-per-week). 

The Dining Center is open daily while classes are in session. On official University holidays that fall during the semester, the Dining Center follows their weekend schedule. The Dining Center is closed during Semester Break and Spring Break. The first contract meal in the Dining Center is Monday dinner, September 1, 2014. The first contract meal after semester break is Monday dinner, January 19, 2015. Students must use their U Card to gain entrance. Students are not permitted to lend their U Card to guests; guests may purchase meals at individual meal prices.

A student wishing to change meal plans must request the change from the cashier in the Dining Center. A meal plan change must be requested by the end of the first week of classes of each semester.

Dining Dollars: Students living in University housing facilities have $175.00 of Dining Dollars (per semester) on their U card. Dining Dollars may be used in the Kirby Plaza Food Court, the Northern Shores Coffee Shop, and the Dining Center. Dining Dollars not used during Fall Semester are transferred to Spring Semester; Dining Dollars that are unused at the end of Spring Semester are forfeited.

Internet Access

ResNet is the residential internet service provided to students living in University housing facilities. ResNet lets students connect their personal computers directly to UMD's computer network via an Ethernet connection. An Ethernet connection is provided in individual residences (except in Lake Superior Hall).

Access to the University's wireless network is available in all housing facilities.

University policy prohibits adding personal wireless hubs to the UMD network. If you have questions, contact the ITSS ResNet TechLine 218-726-6116.


Washers and dryers are available in University housing facilities for resident use at no additional charge. People who are not current official residents of the University's housing facilities are not permitted to use the laundry facilities. Students must provide their own liquid laundry soap/detergent, irons, and ironing boards.

If a machine malfunctions, post a sign that states it is not working; report the situation by submitting a repair request to Building Maintenance (Lake Superior Hall 103, click here for repair request; include the machine's numeric code).

Monitor your clothing during cycles to prevent theft. Housing & Residence Life is not responsible for damage to and/or loss of personal items.

Light Bulbs

Light bulbs are available at the Lake Superior Hall Information Desk (Lake Superior Hall 189) and the apartment offices. Bring the burned out bulb for recycling. If you have difficulty changing a bulb, contact Building Maintenance (Lake Superior Hall 103, click here for repair request).

Lost & Found

There are several locations to check for lost & found articles:


Mailboxes are located in each University housing facility; the key to your living unit opens your mailbox. When a package arrives for a student, a package slip is placed in the student's mailbox. Packages can be picked up at the Ianni Mail Room (Ianni first floor corridor) from 2:00 pm to 6:30 pm, Monday through Thursday, and from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm on Friday; bring the package slip and identification (UMD ID). Federal law stipulates only the person to whom a letter or package is addressed may pick up that parcel. If you receive someone else's mail, return it to the Ianni Mail Room or the area office (if you live in the apartments).

Postage stamps are available from UMD Stores cash register locations in Kirby Student Center. Mailboxes for outgoing mail are located on the Lake Superior Hall loop and in Kirby Student Center. Packages, special delivery, and registered letters can be mailed at the University Mail Room (Darland 44, 218-726-8287). UPS packages can be mailed at Print Services (Kirby Plaza 125, 218-726-7114).

If you subscribe to magazines/journals, notify the appropriate publishers of a change of address at least six weeks in advance. First class mail will be forwarded for 90 days; magazines are forwarded for three weeks.

To receive mail promptly, your mail should be addressed as follows:

Apartments Residence Halls
[A-C] [number] Goldfine Hall
1215 Village Lane
Duluth, MN 55812-3016
[room number] Burntside Hall
1320 Maplewood Court
Duluth, MN 55812-3015
[number] Heaney Hall
1220 Village Lane
Duluth, MN 55812-3070
[A-G, K-N, P-S] [room number] Griggs Hall
509 Niagara Court
Duluth, MN 55812-3050
[number] [A or B] Junction Apartments
1135 Junction Avenue
Duluth, MN 55812-2413
[room number] Ianni Hall
506 Niagara Court
Duluth, MN 55812
[number] A Oakland Apartments
618 Oakland Circle
Duluth, MN 55812-3022
[room number] Lake Superior Hall
513 Niagara Court
Duluth, MN 55812-3046
[number] B Oakland Apartments
621 Oakland Circle
Duluth, MN 55812-3018
[room number] Vermilion Hall
1105 Kirby Drive
Duluth, MN 55812-3039

Recreational Equipment & Facilities

A variety of recreational equipment is available at the Lake Superior Hall Information Desk and the apartment offices. When checking out equipment, students must present current identification (UMD ID, driver's license, passport). All equipment must be returned before the office closes on the day the equipment was checked out. Students will be held responsible for any damage to or loss of the equipment.

A list of recreational facilities follows:

Basketball Griggs Beach, Oaklands, between Lot L-3 and Lot J-3
Billiards Goldfine C, Griggs EF, Heaney Service Center, Junction B, Lake Superior, Oakland B
Piano Lake Superior
Ping Pong Goldfine C, Heaney Service Center, Junction B, Lake Superior, Vermilion
Volleyball Griggs Beach, Goldfine, Oaklands


The UMD Housing & Residence Life Recycling Program provides students with a comprehensive and convenient system for recycling. Aluminum cans, tin (steel) cans, glass bottles and containers, plastic bottles and containers, and a wide assortment of paper products can be recycled. The University has a "mixed products" recycling program; all materials can go into the same container. Recycling containers are provided in each living unit, and recycling collection rooms are designated in University housing facilities. Students are encouraged to participate in the Recycling Program to reduce waste.

Please follow the instructions below when recycling.

Aluminum Empty fluid from can and deposit in receptacle.
Glass Clear, brown, and green glass bottles and jars may be recycled.
  1. Remove and throw away caps and lids.
  2. Wash out bottles and jars.
Ceramic bottles are not recyclable and must go in the garbage.
Plastic Plastic containers with recycle logo stamped on the bottom may be recycled.
  1. Remove and throw away caps.
  2. Wash out containers.
Tin Cans Soup cans, fruit cans, etc. may be recycled.
  1. Remove labels.
  2. Wash out cans.
Paper The following paper products may be recycled:
  • newspapers
  • phone books
  • writing and notebook paper (all colors)
  • copy machine paper (all colors)
  • envelopes (all types)
  • fiberboard egg cartons
  • food stuff boxes such as:
    • cereal boxes (remove inner bag)
    • snack boxes (remove inner bag)
    • macaroni and cheese boxes
    • pasta boxes
  • magazines
  • computer paper
  • catalogs
  • index cards
  • shoe boxes
  • manila folders
  • 12 or 24 pack beverage cartons
  • cardboard boxes (please flatten)

Your participation and cooperation is appreciated!


Report repairs to Building Maintenance (Lake Superior Hall 103, click here for repair request). A staff member is available by phone (218-726-8400) from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm and weekends from 11:30 am to 5:30 pm (holiday hours may vary). If a repair has not been completed within two weeks, contact Building Maintenance (218-726-8400) to follow up.

For emergency repairs during the hours listed, call 218-726-8400; outside of these hours, contact an RA or the Lake Superior Hall Information Desk (218-726-7381). Report vandalism to University Police (Darland 287, 218-726-7000 or 911) and then an RA.

In general, students are responsible for changing the light bulbs in the living unit. If you have difficulty changing a bulb, contact Building Maintenance. Replacement light bulbs are available at the Lake Superior Hall Information Desk and the apartment offices; bring the burned out bulb for recycling.

Authorized University personnel must complete repairs in order to comply with building codes and construction standards. Students are not authorized to attempt repairs themselves. If they do so, the work will be redone, and the students will be charged for the cost of the repair plus the cost of the correction.


Telephones and local telephone service are not provided in University housing facilities. If you want the land line connection in your living unit activated, go to the ITSS Help Desk (KPLZ 165) and complete a UMD ITSS Student Resident Request for Local Phone Service form (service is not available in Lake Superior Hall). Students must provide their own phones.

Vending Machines

If a vending machine malfunctions, call the vendor at the number posted on the front of the machine. For refund requests, contact UMD Stores (Street Level, 218-726-6717). If you see tampering with or vandalism to vending machines, contact University Police (218-726-7000 or 911) immediately and then your RA.

UMD Parking Services

Information about parking permits and regulations is available at the UMD Parking Services website and at Parking Services (Kirby Plaza 245, 218-726-7433, Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:00pm).  Weekly permits are available at Parking Services.

Guest Parking

Guests may park in metered spots on campus or on city streets where permitted. For more information, contact Parking Services (Kirby Plaza 245, 718-726-7433); after hours, contact University Police (218-726-7000 or 911).

Snow Removal from Lots

Students must move their vehicles in accordance with snow plowing schedules posted in University housing facilities. If a vehicle is not moved by the posted snow removal time, it will be ticketed and/or towed at the owner's expense.

UMD Police

For comprehensive information visit the University Police website.

University Police are responsible for law enforcement, security, and emergency response on campus. Officers provide help in investigations, medical emergencies, fires, traffic accidents, crime reports, automobile lockouts, and the enforcement of laws regulating the use of alcohol, weapons, and controlled substances. The University Police office is located in Darland 287 (218-726-7000 or 911). Outside of office hours, dial 911 for both emergencies and non-emergencies.

Theft from Living Units

Report theft from living units to University Police and a Housing & Residence Life staff member (a Resident Advisor or Night Manager). Secure doors and windows when sleeping and when no one is in the living unit. Operation ID numbers may be obtained from the Duluth Police Department. The odds of recovering stolen property increases when items are engraved with your name; keep a record of your valuable belongings with brand name, model, and serial number for each item.

Damage to and Theft from Vehicles

Report incidents to University Police and an RA. The University is not responsible for loss by fire, theft, vandalism or any damage while parked in a residence parking lot. University lots are equipped with cameras to record activity.

For your protection:


General Information

The UMD Housing Contract (including information in the guidebook and correspondence from Housing & Residence Life) defines the rights, responsibilities, and expectations of both the student and Housing & Residence Life.

The contract is for the entire academic year (or while enrolled at UMD during the academic year) and defines the terms for rooms (in residence halls and apartments) and board (in residence halls). Upon moving in, the student (and his/her parent or legal guardian) is responsible for full contractual obligations. This contract is binding and the student must remain in University housing while registered for courses at UMD during the academic year.

Housing & Residence Life reserves the right to reassign a student to another living area at any time if Housing & Residence Life determines it is in the best interest of the student, other students, or the University.

The University reserves the right to refuse or cancel any contract and/or return any installment payment. Students wishing to live in a University housing facility must meet the following conditions:

Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Director of Housing & Residence Life or his/her designee.

Dropping below the credit minimum does not automatically release a student from the Housing contract.

Semester Break Housing

Burntside Hall, Vermilion Hall, Junction B Apartments, and Oakland A Apartments are the only University housing facilities open for semester break (December 19, 2014, 8:00 pm to January 19, 2015, 9:00 am). All other University housing facilities are closed for semester break. To qualify for semester break housing, students must meet the following criteria:

  1. Reside in Burntside Hall, Vermilion Hall, Junction B Apartments, or Oakland A Apartments on or before December 19, 2014; and
  2. Complete a semester break housing request form and submit it to Lake Superior Hall 149 on or before December 5, 2014.

Room/Apartment Condition & Inventory Form

The students assigned to a living unit are provided with a condition & inventory form. When they move in, students are responsible for completing the form and assuring that it accurately reflects the condition of the living unit; students are to note items that are marred, damaged, or missing. When they move out, students will be billed for damages and irregularities that were not noted on the form when they moved in.

Resolving Conflicts: Your Options

Conflict with others is a natural part of life and, sooner or later, we all experience it. Managing conflicts in a healthy, mature manner is part of the University experience. We encourage you to manage conflict by addressing your differing viewpoints with the goal in mind to improve your relationship. If you are experiencing a conflict with your roommate(s), your options include:

  1. Discussing the situation with the person directly, and/or;
  2. Contacting your RA for advice on how to approach your roommate(s), and/or;
  3. Contacting your RA to facilitate dialogue with you and your roommate(s), and/or;
  4. Obtaining an Assignment Change Referral form from your RA to relocate to another living unit.

Staff are prepared and willing to assist students with facilitation but are unable to make living decisions for them. The RAs can advise students on how to approach his/her roommates and meet with roommates to facilitate a dialogue, help keep the conversation focused, and encourage civility. Only the students who are living together are capable of resolving their differences. If you do not want to continue living with your roommates (even if you believe they are at fault), it is your choice to stay or move if your roommates are unwilling to move.

If you have concerns about personal safety or security, contact University Police at 218-726-7000 or 911 during normal business hours or 911 after hours.

It is inappropriate for staff to intervene other than to facilitate dialogue between students. Housing & Residence Life staff will not decide who is to move out and who is to stay in a living unit.

Assignment Changes

It is important that roommates work together to create a living environment that allows freedom with respect and responsibility. However, should problems arise, students may request an assignment change to another living unit. The Assignment Change Referral Form (available from your RA) must be presented at Housing & Residence Life (Lake Superior Hall 149, 218-726-8178) to obtain a list of on campus vacancies. A student may not move until written approval is received from Housing & Residence Life. Any student moving to another living unit without written approval will be subject to Housing & Residence Life disciplinary action and may be required to move back to his/her original assignment and/or lose all assignment change privileges.

Assigning Vacancies

Students may be assigned to vacancies by Housing & Residence Life (Lake Superior Hall 149, 218-726-8178) at any time. Housing & Residence Life encourages students who are becoming roommates to meet prior to moving. Students are asked to get to know one another and discuss issues important to living together. Due to their absence, current students may not have an opportunity to be informed of or meet with an incoming student during semester break. Should conflicts develop that cannot be resolved and a student opts to move, she/he must follow the Assignment Change procedure. Students who refuse a new roommate or hinder the process (do not respond promptly, respond rudely/coarsely, and/or are not welcoming to students who inquire, etc.) will be referred to the conduct system which may include being assessed the rate noted in the Consolidation Policy (if occupancy permits).

Single Rooms

Requests for single rooms will be approved only when space is available. Single room requests should be made to Housing & Residence Life (Lake Superior Hall 149, 218-726-8178). An additional $600.00 per semester will be added to the student's account for assigning a double room as a single in the residence halls; the cost is $750.00 per space per semester in the apartments. University furnishings must remain in the room.

Consolidation Policy

If the occupancy of a living unit falls below its established occupancy level, the remaining students have the option to:

  1. Accept another roommate(s);
  2. Move into another living unit (see Check-Out Procedure);
  3. Space permitting, pay an additional amount to keep the living unit below its established occupancy level ($600.00 per space per semester in the residence halls; $750.00 per space per semester in the apartments).

If another roommate(s) is not available, the additional rate will not be charged.


Billing for University Housing fees is included on the billing statement with tuition and fees. Questions regarding housing charges should be addressed to Housing & Residence Life (Lake Superior Hall 149, 218-726-8178). Billing questions should be directed to One Stop (Solon Campus Center 23, 218-726-8000). Failure to satisfy financial obligations of the Housing Contract may result in any or all of the following:

  1. Denial of meal privileges.
  2. Placement of a "hold" on the student's records and/or registration materials
  3. Denial of future residence
  4. Termination of the contract and eviction
  5. Referral of the student's account for collection
  6. Referral to the St. Louis County Conciliation Court for legal action

Contract Cancellation

A student may be released from his/her contract under the following conditions:

Two weeks written notice and proof of pending withdrawal, graduation, or marriage is required by Housing & Residence Life for cancellation of this contract.

A student who has been released from the Housing Contract for any of the above conditions or whose contract has been terminated by Housing & Residence Life will be assessed a charge through the last night of occupancy and a meal charge through the evening meal of the same night. These charges are prorated on a daily basis. An additional charge of $50.00 will be assessed for cancellation of the contract. The minimum charge assessed for Fall Semester is $200.00. Students who have been officially released from their contract effective at the end of a semester must complete all check-out procedures by 8:00 pm of the last day of exams.

Personal Property Insurance

The University and Housing & Residence Life assume no responsibility for theft of, damage to, or loss of money, valuables, or other personal belongings of any student or guest. Students are strongly encouraged to carry their own personal property insurance if not covered by their family's/guardian's homeowners' insurance policy. Students are responsible for damage caused by their actions/inactions.

Moving Off Campus

After a student has moved into a University housing facility, the Housing Contract cannot be canceled to move to off-campus accommodations. A student wishing to move off campus must sell his/her contract to an acceptable substitute. The Housing Contract cannot be canceled by paying the $50.00 cancellation charge.

A student should not make a verbal or written agreement for off-campus accommodations unless he or she has written approval of sale of his/her Housing Contract or written approval of contract cancellation. A student is responsible for all charges pertaining to the balance of the Housing Contract until the person who purchased the contract assumes occupancy.

Selling a Contract

With the written consent of the Director of Housing & Residence Life or his/her designee, a student may secure an acceptable substitute who has not already submitted a Housing Contract to assume contractual responsibilities. A contract may be sold only by a student who has moved into his/her assigned Housing space. A student seeking an acceptable substitute should be aware that:

The student selling the contract is responsible for the financial obligations of the contract until the date the substitute assumes occupancy in the living unit.

Check-Out Procedure

During the year when a student receives approval to move out of a living unit (even if just moving down the hall), she/he must:

Students must check out in person. Students who do not complete check-out procedures will be assessed $25.00 for improper check-out along with charges for cleaning, damages, and/or lock core replacement.


Fall Semester

University housing facilities open Thursday, August 28 @ 9:00 am
First contract meal Monday, September 1, dinner
Finals Week Quiet Hours begin Friday, December 12 @ 12:00 Noon
Finals December 15-19
Dining Center closes Friday, December 19, after dinner
University housing facilities close Friday, December 19 @ 8:00 pm

Students with approved end-of-semester contract cancellations must complete check-out procedures by 8:00 pm on Friday, December 19, 2014.

Spring Semester

University housing facilities open Sunday, January 18 @ 9:00 am
First contract meal Monday, January 19, dinner
Classes begin Tuesday, January 20
Spring Break March 14-22
Classes resume Monday, March 23
Finals Week Quiet Hours begin Friday, May 8 @ 12:00 Noon
Finals May 11-15
University housing facilities close Friday, May 15 @ 8:00 pm

Students must complete check-out procedures by 8:00 pm on Friday, May 15, 2015.

Last Revision: January 8, 2015.