The National College Health Assessment has been administered to a sample of UMD students over the past 12 years. The following information is from the 2011 survey.
– 17.5% never use alcohol
– 13.3% did not use in the 30 days prior to the survey
– 69.2% used alcohol in the past month
– 13.3% used alcohol ten or more days in the past month
– 60.9% had 5 or more drinks at one sitting in the past two weeks
– Mean number of drinks for student drinking=5.21
– Mean number of drinks for drinking females=4.67
– Mean number of drinks for drinking males=6.60
-Students having 5 or more drinks at one sitting have a higher proportion of "C" grades
-Students having less than 5 drinks at one sitting have a higher proportion of "A" Grades
-Heavier drinking students (at or above the mean) had more injuries, more frequently did something they later regretted and forgot where they were or what they did.
-6.2% of students reported having recieved a lower grade or incomplete in a course because of alcohol use.