Information for International Students
You are here
2018 Graduate Student Orientation - Check the schedule here for sessions that apply to you.
All new and transfer students on an F-1 or J-1 visa are required to attend Document Check after their arrival on campus. Students will not be allowed to register for classes until they complete Document Check. Document Check is a procedure that verifies a student's immigration status to ensure that the student is eligible to start an academic program at the University of Minnesota for the upcoming academic semester. Your registration holds, which prevent you from registering for classes, will be discussed with you during Document Check.
Take the following documents to the International Student Services Office (KSC 237)
- I-20 or DS-2019
- Passport and visa stamp (in your passport)
- I-94 (if you have a paper I-94 card in your passport that was stamped during your immigration inspection, otherwise ISS will help you find your electronic I-94 online)
- Dependent documents (I-20 or DS-2019, passport, visa stamp, and I-94 card), if you have dependents with you
- Previous school's I-20 or DS-2019, if you attended another school in the U.S.
- University of Minnesota ID number (on your admission letter)
- Sponsor letter, if your tuition & fees are paid directly to the University by a government or international agency
Students with Transfer I-20s, contact the International Student Services Office.