Funding Your Graduate Studies

You are here

currency symbols on puzzle piecesTeaching assistantships, research assistantships, fellowships, and loans provide the most common forms of support for graduate students. You should contact the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) in your program of interest to find out what assistantships or fellowships are available through the program. You may be asked to submit this Application for Graduate Assistantship, but check with your program first, as they may have a different form.

Graduate assistants holding appointments as teaching assistants, research assistants, or administrative fellows may be eligible for tuition benefits, resident rate privileges, and the Graduate Assistant Health Plan, depending on the percentage of their appointment. See our Graduate Assistant Employment Information page for more details.

Degree-seeking domestic graduate students are also eligible to apply for financial aid, primarily loans, to help pay for graduate school. Please be aware that University of Minnesota certificate programs are not eligible for federal financial aid programs. For more information, visit the following UMD OneStop pages:

The Graduate School also maintains lists of University-wide funding opportunities, and external funding opportunities. Please note that some US scholarship, grant, fellowship, and loan programs are not open to international students.