Uploading Your Transcript
You are here
Note: This information is for applicants or current students in master's or doctoral programs only.
If you are a student seeking a bachelor's degree, please visit our undergraduate admissions pages.
- You must upload an unofficial transcript or academic record for each institution (even if you didn't receive a degree) in the Educational Background section of the online application. These copies must be uploaded before you submit the application. Non-English transcripts must be accompanied by an English translation. If possible, make sure the institution has put your name on the transcript/record.
- Non-legible scans will not be accepted.
- Please do not mail or fax a copy of a transcript or academic record to our office.
Please refer to the details below before proceeding.
When do I send my official transcripts?
If you are recommended for admission you will need to provide an official transcript (sent to us by mail directly from the institution). Your offer of admission will be contingent upon the receipt and verification of these official documents (which must show the award of degrees where appropriate.) Do not send official records until we request them from you.
Important tips for uploading your transcript to your application:
- Obtain an electronic version of your unofficial transcript or scan a copy of a current transcript at the lowest resolution that results in a legible document (we recommend using under 200 dpi).
- Institutional web-based transcript/academic record are acceptable.
- Ensure that your document is saved as a PDF or Word document, and that its size does not exceed 1500kb.
- If the scanned file is too large, simply make a photocopy first, then scan that photocopy. (Experiment with different settings until you find one that results in the smallest file size.)
- Color documents are not necessary. Scanning in “gray scale” or black and white is strongly recommended.
- Do not upload spreadsheet documents to the online application. Instead, use a screen-capture and copy/paste the image onto a Word document.
- International applicants with transcripts from Mainland China, please see our Chinese Transcripts page.
- Ensure that the institution name and all other identifying marks are visible and clearly legible and that your scan can print on letter-size paper - 8 ½ by 11 in (21 ½ by 30 cm).
- Please include a copy of the transcript legend or university key for each institution.
- Click the “view document” button to verify whether the uploaded document is legible. If it is not legible, try again. (NOTE: The system automatically converts your uploaded document into a standard PDF file.)
- If you need assistance, please note that public libraries, office supply stores (Kinko's, Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.), and other services can create scanned documents for you.
If you are unable to upload a legible document, you will need to have an official transcript mailed to the Graduate School Admissions Office. Please keep in mind that doing this will delay processing of your application. To be considered official, the documents must be sent directly from your institution(s) to our office. Here is the mailing address for official transcripts:
Attention: Duluth Transcripts
Office of Graduate Admissions
University of Minnesota
309 Johnston Hall
101 Pleasant St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0421
The University of Minnesota reserves the right to require official transcripts at any time during the admissions process, and to rescind any offer of admission made if discrepancies between unofficial and official transcript(s) are found.