You are here
Transcripts and Credentials
Do I need Transcripts/Academic Records/Credentials to Apply to Graduate School?
Yes. Transcript/Academic Record/Credential instructions are for all applicants, both domestic and international.
- When applying for admission, you will need to upload unofficial transcripts/academic records/credentials. Sign in to the online application to upload unofficial records from each college-level institution you have attended. Please include all incomplete or partial academic records. Transcripts for college credit earned before high school graduation do not need to be provided.
- Do not submit official transcripts/academic records/credentials with your application, and do not send official documents until requested.
- If you are an international applicant and have additional questions or concerns, please visit the International Student Resources Page.
Tips for Uploading Your Unofficial Transcripts/Credentials
- Names - Make sure your name and the institution's name are visible on your transcript/academic record/credential.
- Clarity - If your documentation is an electronic scan of a paper version, please ensure that all content is legible.
- Translations - International transcripts/academic records/credentials (e.g. marksheets, diploma supplements. etc.) should include both the original language and an English translation. Provide a copy of the original language diploma if a degree was conferred.
When are Official Transcripts/Credentials Required?
You will need to provide official transcripts/academic records only after you are admitted to a graduate or professional program. If admitted, an official transcript/credential must be sent to the Graduate School Admissions Office as an official document, issued by the original institution. It is your responsibility to request official transcripts/credentials from the original institution.
Official transcripts/credentials must be sent to:
Graduate School Admissions Office
University of Minnesota
Attn: Duluth Transcripts
309 Johnston Hall
101 Pleasant St. S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0421
For domestic institutions only, electronic transcripts issued by the institution or a transcript service may be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: University of Minnesota undergraduates from any campus do not need to provide an official University of Minnesota transcript if admitted to a graduate program.
Questions or Concerns?
- Remember to review the Application Instructions page. For international students, please review the International Student Resources page.
- Please contact the Graduate School Admissions Office or the Duluth Graduate Office with any questions about transcripts and credentials.
To verify documents, University officials may contact the institutions of selected students. If we are unable to verify the student's transcripts or credentials, the University reserves the right to drop the student from the active status and may refer the matter to law enforcement authorities for prosecution.