Can I request a non-university member to be the outside person on my committee?

Yes. It is important to note that there are two distinct types of external member appointments: 1) onetime-only assignment, which relates specifically to the issue at hand, and 2) appointments for ongoingfaculty service. Graduate programs are solely responsible for ensuring that proposed external committee members meet eligibility requirements established by their college.  See Process for Inclusion of External (Non‐University of Minnesota) members on Graduate Students' Examining Committees.

Return to all FAQs.