UMD Graduate School
The Master of Arts in English is ideally suited to students who are looking for small class sizes, high-quality instruction, and close interaction with graduate faculty. In this two-year program, students select the emphasis that best suits their interests and professional objectives: Literary Studies, English Studies, or Publishing & Print Culture.
Admission and Application Requirements
To be accepted into the program, applicants must:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree with at least 30 semester credits or 44 quarter credits in English or a related field with at least 20 semester credits or 28 quarter credits at upper division credits in English or a related field
- Complete the GRE with minimum scores of: Verbal 550; Analytical Writing 4.5
- Provide transcripts
- Have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- International students must submit one of the following exams:
- TOEFL: Minimum 79 (internet)
- IELTS: Minimum 7.0
- MELAB: Minimum 80
- Write a statement of objectives
- Submit three letters of reference
- Submit two writing samples
Students must complete a minimum of 30 semester credits, with 24 credits in their English major and 6 credits in a minor or related field. Students must also complete two Plan B thesis papers.
Deadlines and Dates
New students are admitted for the fall and spring semesters. Students must apply for the fall semester by February 15 if they wish to receive financial assistance, including teaching assistantships and tuition fellowships. Applicants seeking to enroll in the fall semester must submit all materials no later than June 15. The application deadline for the spring semester is October 1.
Teaching assistantships are available on a competitive basis for students enrolling for fall semester. Merit Fellowships for first- and second-year students are also available on a competitive basis.
Areas of Specialization
The English MA Program has three emphases:
- Literary Studies
- English Studies
- Publishing & Print Culture
Department of English, University of Minnesota Duluth, 410 Humanities Building, 1201 Ordean Court, Duluth, MN 55812 (218.726.8228; fax 218.726.6882; firstname.lastname@example.org; www.d.umn.edu/engl/englishgrad/main/).
Director of Graduate Studies: Craig Stroup, email@example.com, 218.726.6249
Assistant to the Director of Graduate Studies: Michele Larson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 218.726.8228